insetting a mirror

Hello all! I am new to both this forum and woodworking. As my first project I'm starting simple with a jewelry box for my daughter. I'd like to inset a small square mirror on the inside of the box top. Would you recommend using a router to get close as far as the square shape, then chisel out the corners? Also, how would you go about adhering the mirror to the wood?
-jim-

For something as small as the top of a jewelry box (I assume), I would probably just chisel the whole thing. You would then want to use mirror mastic to hold it in place.
todd

That's what I'd do - I'd probably use a laminate trimmer because it's smaller and easier to maneuver. You could probably clamp straightedges on the box top so you don't rout outside the lines. I'd definitely practice on scrap. And yes, I'd then chisel out the corners. Alternatively, I might try cutting a hole all the way through the wood, routing a rabbet on the other side of the lid, and setting the mirror in from the back, so you wouldn't see the mirror edges from the outside. This would of course depend on the construction and thickness of the box lid.

I'd probably use a little bit of epoxy, though I like the other poster's idea of mirror mastic.
Sounds like a fun project - have fun, Andy