Inlaying perpendiculat to the grain

Hi,
If I inlay narrow strips of wood perpendicular to the grain direction, must I worry abou the inlay splitting owing to wood expansion/contraction?
thanks in advance.
bob
yes. you can keep it under control by keeping the cross grain sections short.
Hi bob:
I have done this, though it was at a large scale. When I did some decorative inlay in my hardwood floors, I used short sections of wood for the cross-grain inlay. That allows the underlying wood to move seasonally. By cutting the pieces from the same piece of wood, the grain matches and the joints are nearly invisible. Here's a picture:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/280959647/280960351BLjgSL
Regards, John.
Robert Rifkin wrote:

This may help. And the tool to cut the groove for line inlaying can be made from a cabinet scraper.
http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/Inlaying1.html
charlie b