inlaying tools?

I would like to know where I can buy some inlaying tools. Every where I look they say to make your own. I don't have access to metal working. Is there some where or one that makes these tools?

Reply to
W. Wells

This is a hard question to answer because inlaying means different things to different people. That said, here are some comments:

If you are thinking of applying a bit of marquetry to a project, then you would cut the thin veneers with either an X-acto knife (#11 blade) or a fret saw (like a jewlers or coping saw with a deeper throat and very, very thin blades). Straight cuts on veneers can also be made with a veneer saw. All these tools are very inexpensive and are available from:

(I am so sad they left the Bronx)

If you want to cut into a surface to "let-in" another piece of wood, then there are a couple of approaches. You could make a frame to contain the travel of an electric router or use a pattern and the router with a bushing. You can also remove material with a manual router (hard to find) or sharp bench chisels. I sometimes use an X-acto knife with the chisel blade that works very well on small areas.

Some years ago, I was reworking a banquet table (i.e. a piece of 3/4 plywood with steel legs that gets covered with a table cloth) and tried an experiment. I made a two piece marquetry assembly (a siloutte of a lion) which I cut with a X-acto knife. I then made a diamond shaped frame out of 1 by 2s and clamped it to the new plywood tabletop. I routed out a recess (inside the frame) to contain my marquetry assembly and then glued it in place. Worked fine. I can send you a picture or two if you like. Email me at: bill-at-leonhardts-dot-com.

If you have any other, more specific questions, I'll try to answer them.

Gook luck,

Bill Leonhardt

Reply to
Bill Leonhardt

The Zachary Taylor "Inlaying" book has some good descriptions of making them.

You have a kitchen stove and enough workbench space for a clamp on vice? That's all you need. Taking small bits of tool steel and hand-grinding them is enough - even just masonry nails. You can heat treat on a stove.

Most of them though are just woodworking / woodcarving tools in the smaller sizes.

You might also find a gunsmith supplier like Brownell's to be useful - that's were my checkering tools came from.

Reply to
Andy Dingley