Reproducing grain.

Have a speaker cabinet which has a satin black finish. From the factory. It's obvious by the odd scratch that it is actually simply painted teak veneered plywood, as the majority of the same speakers have an oiled teak finish.

Had a bash on one corner which looked horrid as it is on the top, so pretty visible.

The ply is 12mm, so routed out about 5mm and let in a bit of ply which has restored the shape perfectly. A triangle about an inch high.

Sanded the entire top down and repainted with satin black rattle can. Looks a lot better, and the paint matches the original well.

But it's let down by the different grain on the patch, which is much finer than the teak.

I could I suppose re-veneer the top (not something I've ever done) but wondered if anyone had tips about how to 'engrave' a matching grain on such a small bit?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have found if you apply a coat of "quick drying" (i.e. water borne) varnish or wood stain, then allow it to cure a little bit before brushing with a cheap (nylon) brush, you can leave a woodgrain like texture in the finish. Allow that to dry then overspray with the final colour.

(Practice on a bit of scrap ply to see what effects you can get)

Some years back I needed a wood grain effect on some MDF, and used the same technique. I was mainly after the appearance rather than the texture at the time, but the texture was there also:

John Rumm

Life's too short to peel olives.

Bill

Reply to