What Paint to cover the grain in Plywood?

I used plywood in my basement to cover some pipes but I don't like the way it looks painted. Will a good primer cover - zinsner - that grain or is there something else I should use?

thanks

Barry Feldman

--

Reply to
Barry Feldman

if you are talking about regular buiding material plywood, the kind that you get to sheat up a wall or roof then you not gonna get anything to cover the grain... maybe sanpaper.. it was rough finish as its not a fininshed product....they dont make it rough on purpose, they just dont sand it or finish it on purpose(cost more money) and it was not made to be a finished product( its like the old time wood found in many old homes.. the wood went though a saw and not planed down like modern sold wood is today.... they did not need the wood planed so they did not do it....

Reply to
jim

Prime then skim coat it with drywall mud

Reply to
Lou W

If you haven't already painted it, lots of sanding sealer and elbow work will hide the surface with enough layers.

Drywall (over wood if necessary) is a whole lot easier to paint and have look like you want.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Barry Feldman wrote in news:070120040900191874% snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com:

Barry... I did this too. I didn't like the wood look where it was used so I skim coated it with sheet rock mud, sanded lightly and then primed and painted it. You can't tell it isn't sheet rock. Good luck.

Reply to
My Name

thanks everyone, I think the skim coat is a great idea - I've done that and I don't know why I didn't think of it. It will fill cover the grain. I can sand as well there's not really alot of wood exposed below the dropped ceiling line,

thanks everyone!

Barry Feldman

--

Reply to
Barry Feldman

You could also screw sheetrock to it and finish it like a normal wall, maybe the 1/4" stuff if you dont want to enlarge it too much.

Cheers

Reply to
Arroyo

On 7 Jan 2004 10:15:29 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@trailing-edge.com (Tim Shoppa) wrote (with possible editing):

...snip

In addition, it adds a bit of fire and noise resistance.

Reply to
L. M. Rappaport