Influencial woodworkers

Page 3 of 3

I did not know that. Isn't the Internet wonderful?
I always thought the Wright Flyer had that F.L.W. look to it.
--
Jeff P.

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com

Same name, they MUST be brothers. At least cousins

Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
Unisaw A100 wrote:

Did you every do a Google search on Frank Lloyd Wright and notice how many times the reference to structural problems comes up?
On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 19:17:40 -0500, the inscrutable Nova

Falling Water was spectacular. Taliesin West was interesting. But his stained glasswork sucked (waaaay to fracking busy) and his Usonian stuff too utilitarian and ugly. The more I read about his work and see pictures of his buildings, the less I find to worship about the guy.
"Boy, I feel safer now that Martha Stewart is behind bars!
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

IMO, FLW was at the blunted edge of today's "form over function" mentality.
Come to think of it, breast augmentation, Bo-tox and blindingly bright teeth, to name a just few, are manifestations of that same, spoiled, appearance-counts-more-than-substance mindset.
A pox on the ilk.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Well, he did get kicked out of engineering school at the University of Wisconsin. Hey... I know other people who share that honor.
Unisaw A100 wrote:

in. And are you *certain* that he never made *anything* out of wood???? .
Rob
On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 01:07:58 -0500, Rob Mitchell

if he did, I'd hate to see it. FLW was a visionary, a thinker, an artist. whether you like his stuff is up to you. he wasn't an engineer, and as a builder he sucked- many of his structures have had to be essentially rebuilt to keep them from being dangerous to occupy. he had a tendency to extend himself beyond his ability- admirable or foolhardy, depending on your point of view. he achieved a lot with very little, but he left a lot of half-baked stuff behind.
Rob Mitchell wrote:

No I'm not but I also have a picture of me on a pony. It doesn't necessarily make me a cowboy.
UA100, who has been to Taliesan and doesn't m'member seeing a shop for dorking wood there...
: Hi,
: I am wondering who are the most influencial woodworkers and : woodworking teachers in North America. I would like to check out : others that I don't know about. Who else belongs in this list
: Frid : Klause : Krenov : Maloof
Charles and Ray Eames.
    -- Andy Barss

Greene & Greene, designers and builders of "The Gamble House". That's a piece of furniture cleverly disguised as a house. Someday I'll figure out how to steal it and then "Good Bye Pasadena, hello New York!" USC ownes it now because some freaking retard who wanted to buy the place mentioned that he was going to paint the inside white. The Gambles (Proctor & Gamble fame) said "No you're not, monkey boy!".
You can get tours of the place if you want to suffer from home envy for the rest of your life.
--
I can find no modern furniture that is as well designed and emotionally
satisfying as that made by the Arts and Crafts movement in the early years
Ed Clarke wrote:

Actually, the Greene brothers were not woodworkers either.
UA100

Alex
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
I've learned something from every woodworker I've ever come in contact with. None of which are on your list and none of the techniques/shortcuts I've picked up will never be found in a book as each of us learns unique techniques along the way. My humble opinion. Mark