Influencial woodworkers

if he did, I'd hate to see it. FLW was a visionary, a thinker, an artist. whether you like his stuff is up to you. he wasn't an engineer, and as a builder he sucked- many of his structures have had to be essentially rebuilt to keep them from being dangerous to occupy. he had a tendency to extend himself beyond his ability- admirable or foolhardy, depending on your point of view. he achieved a lot with very little, but he left a lot of half-baked stuff behind.

Reply to
bridger

No I'm not but I also have a picture of me on a pony. It doesn't necessarily make me a cowboy.

UA100, who has been to Taliesan and doesn't m'member seeing a shop for dorking wood there...

Reply to
Unisaw A100

IMO, FLW was at the blunted edge of today's "form over function" mentality.

Come to think of it, breast augmentation, Bo-tox and blindingly bright teeth, to name a just few, are manifestations of that same, spoiled, appearance-counts-more-than-substance mindset.

A pox on the ilk.

Reply to
Swingman

How did Frank Lloyd Wright suddenly turn into Orvil and Wilber Wright? Time to get out your history books

Reply to
TaskMule

Well, he did get kicked out of engineering school at the University of Wisconsin. Hey... I know other people who share that honor.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

He split down the middle, and the halves formed into two smaller humans.

Reply to
Brian Siano

I did not know that. Isn't the Internet wonderful?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Peter Michaux wrote: : Hi,

: I am wondering who are the most influencial woodworkers and : woodworking teachers in North America. I would like to check out : others that I don't know about. Who else belongs in this list

: Frid : Klause : Krenov : Maloof

Charles and Ray Eames.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Greene & Greene, designers and builders of "The Gamble House". That's a piece of furniture cleverly disguised as a house. Someday I'll figure out how to steal it and then "Good Bye Pasadena, hello New York!" USC ownes it now because some freaking retard who wanted to buy the place mentioned that he was going to paint the inside white. The Gambles (Proctor & Gamble fame) said "No you're not, monkey boy!".

You can get tours of the place if you want to suffer from home envy for the rest of your life.

Reply to
Ed Clarke

Was it, there was I thinking he took up John The Baptists role when he was killed off, to fit in with certain old beliefs, predictions and astrological phenomena.

Christianity, a weird sub sect of jewish decent!

Niel.

Reply to
Badger

Actually, the Greene brothers were not woodworkers either.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Same name, they MUST be brothers. At least cousins

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Oh my mistake, so solly so solly!

Reply to
AAvK

That house was in a movie, "back to the future", my mother toured it.

Reply to
AAvK

I've learned something from every woodworker I've ever come in contact with. None of which are on your list and none of the techniques/shortcuts I've picked up will never be found in a book as each of us learns unique techniques along the way. My humble opinion. Mark

Reply to
Mark

I always thought the Wright Flyer had that F.L.W. look to it.

Reply to
Jeff P.