Incra miter gauge

Was out in Pittsburgh this weekend so took advantage of the chance to visit Rockler. Nice store with plenty of helpful guys. I almost bought this Incra miter gauge for $49 (on sale).

on closer inspection the pointer isn't close enough to the scale to get an accurate reading if you don't have it in one of the notches. (big picture)
I missing something here? I think I am better off with my Jet gauge that the pin falls out of than $50 for a gauge that the pointer isn't close enough to the scale to read it.

The more expensive Incras come with a flimsy piece of metal that you can shift into position to read the scale accurately but I think it would easily get bent or snapped off.

course I didn't walk out empty handed, I bought the Incra positioning jig and can't wait to try it out.

RayV

I like my Kreg. Common angles can be set quickly, but any angle can be set and adjusted.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

Not true at all. I've been using a fence-equipped version of that same Incra for years.

"Common" angles have stops, but the device is continuously variable by leaving the "tooth" out of the "cog" and tightening the handle to lock.

Reply to
B A R R Y

You are correct, this is the low end Incra design which does not allow easy setting of the angles between the notches.

The other Incra mitre gauges, such as the 1000SE do have such a feature. Incra calls this a vernier cursor. I have this model, and have been very happy, but it does cost more.

I have rarely needed to use the vernier cursor to get the slightest off-notch angles, but when I did, it worked well and was as able to reset the angle as the notches, it just takes a little more time.

Dave Paine.

Reply to
Tyke

Reply to
Leon

I have the incra 1000se... I don't have any problem with the thin metal piece. Love the miter.. accurate. My only beef was the angle used for the fence isn't 90 to the table. I had to use shims to get the fence perpendicular.

Well worth the m> Was out in Pittsburgh this weekend so took advantage of the chance to

Reply to
tiredofspam

You are correct that this gage is not very handy for repeating odd angles. It is very accurate at the angles provided with the notches. I have another gage for the limited occasions I need repeatability at the odd angle. I always thought though that it would be fairly simple to add a pointer (even if it wasn't as fancy as the one on the higher end models) and wonder why INCRA hasn't done it. I guess they want us to spend a little more for the better models. I think that marketing technique must work because I've done that too.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Ah - sorry for the error.

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

snip

I have the $59 gage and find it to be very accurate and repeatable. If I need an angle the gage doesn't set easily, I have an adjustable triangle that I use to set the gage or in some cases a bevel square does the trick.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Although I just got mine, I plan on setting odd angles the same way. Although with the presets for 3,4,6,8,9,10, and 12 sided constructs, I can't imagine needing odd angles very often.

Would someone who does use odd angles frequently please explain the need? Cutting wedges is the only thing that easily comes to mind.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

We do a lot of stair building and the run and rake angles are often not on one of the 5 degree increments. When cutting skirts and other stair parts, repeatability is pretty handy.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.