Incra finally arrived - and an appeal.

Page 2 of 2

Glass beads? You take payment in glass beads? GLASS BEADS??? . . . Had I known.....<G>
Robatoy wrote:

Actually, I'm willing to negotiate a deal for /any/ bauble comparable to the Koh-i-Noor diamond or the Timor Ruby...
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Good on ya, Morris. Hope all's well.
JP
I was looking on Ebay earlier, and some stuff is exorbitant to send to uk and some is very reasonable (dial calipers around 8 usd shipping) so I suspect a lot of this problem is down to retailers doing NO research and just getting a throwaway price from their domestic couriers who don't really want to bitty international business so only give out priority express prices. I'd consider all this to equate with a lot of missed opportunities on sales. I just don't understand it. There IS business to be done, US to UK but it's so difficult to do, from this end. unless moving industrial quantities of stuff.
Amazon seemed to have it sussed, with their partnership dealer program. I often buy books, DVDs etc in from the USA. A book costs 2.75 to ship, a DVD 1.24 and I usually get it within a few days. Two days, occasionally and once I ordered stuff on Sunday and had it the following day. So- if I can get a coffee-table book, weighing about 4 pounds, sent to me for about 5 an'ahalf bucks, WHY am I being quoted 80 for a 4 ounce wrench.... ?????
When I last sent something to the States, the same package, quoted for between 45 and 65 for all manner of expedited, 2-day, next day, prioritized (standard) handling, cost under 10 when sent at small packet rates.. The same plane, same delivery time but no _guarantee_ of speed - and it's not the service at the top of the list. Surface would have been cheaper still. Oh yes.. apart from the very top-priced super-charter options, the "guaranteed" expedited delivery is not _actually_ guaranteed at all - it's just a target. In other words, the price difference is down to the stickers the Post Office puts on your packages, which all travel in the same bag. The probability of faster delivery of the higher-priced service is probably higher if the service is swamped, (Christmas post, for example) but realistically, it's usually just electing to hand over more cash for the same service.
Bah! Humbug!!
Must sleep. Night, all.

I've sort of found a way around a similar problem. I'm in Canada, not as far from the US, but occasionally, I get a buddy who lives down there to buy me things and send them regular mail up to me here in Canada. This was a guy I conversed with through the rec, but whom I haven't yet met in person.
There's been a number of times I've tried to order from Amazon.com and they won't send the product up to Canada citing trade restrictions. So, I order the product and have it sent to the friend's place, he then mails it snail mail up to me in Canada. For the most part, I've been able to get the order without duty charges, so it's worked out well.
On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 04:20:55 +0000, Bored Borg

I got in with a fellow from England who was looking for parts for his Chrysler project car. For the agreed price, I shippped what he asked for in exchange for Cadbury chocolate bars (If your in England, you know what I want). I live in Canada. It was basically cost of parts + shipping for cost of chocolate + shipping. I gave him my time to go and strip the part out of the donor car. Those rare chocolate bars were as valuable as the rare North American car parts.
Want to do some business? Pete
On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 20:31:47 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@mts.net wrote

well, I live about 8 miles north of the Cadbury's factory...
Does this mean I have to start building a Chrysler?