Curb Appeal

Can someone help me out here I am looking for ways to improve the curb appeal of my house. The biggest problem I see is with the Front Door. I would like to replace it with something of either Oak or Mahogany but I am not sure if that will tie in well with the Brick. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. You can see a picture of it at : http://65.31.50.65/pub/house1.jpg

Thanks, -Mike

Reply to
Mike Bittel

A colonial style may look best with a painted door. Natural finish has to be redone every 7- 15 yrs but oak would be the best choise.

Reply to
m Ransley

Why not use one of the new faux finishes on your present door? Much cheaper than then replacing the door, and the systems are fun to use. Gives you more options for a final choice later. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

looks good so far, but it also looks like a building, to flat/square for my taste's.

Reply to
Punch

No offense, but too much black. Black is a depressing color and might* turn some people off. White/grey shutters and a mahogany door would look better to me.

*Note: Some people are attracted black. A lot of high end status symbol products are black because the people they are selling to prefer that color. This is the $200 plus bottle of perfume and other products with an excessive price. Also some top CEO types will say black is their favorite color. So if you are selling the house and want to attract those type of buyers, then keep the black. If you are selling the house and it is not selling after 6 months, then try switching to white/grey.

Also note that many men's products (tools) are red and many women's products are light blue. Colors on packages are specifically selected for the market the product is being sold to...

More... (or search for color psychology)

Bill

Doesn't look cheery enough. Lighten the window shutters. Paint them white or a lighter color. Paint the door and add a brass door knocker.

Reply to
Tom

Hi Mike,

I agree with some of the other posters, the black makes it look a bit forbidding. Do you have photo editing software on your computer? You might want to take the picture you have and play with the colors on the shutters and the door. After you've opened the pic in the photo editing software, "paint" the shutters to match the roof (looks gray on my monitor), and perhaps go a shade or two lighter. Would be better if it was a warm gray rather than a cold gray because your brickwork looks like it has warm tones. Once you have a color that looks good to you, "paint" it on the door too and see if you like it. Or you could "paint" the sidelights to match the shutters, and "paint" the door to match the dominant color of the brickwork. Those are just some ideas to get you started.

If you are good at photo editing, try "removing" the shutters from a window or two and see how the house would look without them.

I would also do something about the landscaping, if that's under your control (i.e. not a condo or shared grounds). The yews are nice but you need some variety; some plantings with other heights, colors and textures to soften things up a bit. The bush in front of the window on the left side of the door should be trimmed so it's below the sill. (Wow, am I bossy!). While you are at it, get a couple of those lightweight urns at a garden center, put one on each side of the door, and fill 'em up with flowering plants and a few trailing vines.

I am not an expert! Just a homeowner like yourself.

Good luck, Sara

Reply to
Sara

I have to agree. That door is awful dark. Changing it to a red or a nice wood tone would be an improvement.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

The front looks "lost." The front door should be the "bulls eye." Paint it the brightest red color you can find, or as the real estate agent.

Reply to
Phisherman

I want to say "Thanks" to all who replied for your suggestions, you've given me a lot of good ideas!

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Bittel

Need a shot from the other angle, but you desperately need some color. The door is a small part. Lighten the color and add a door with an oval etched glass centerpiece? Change the shutter color to match the door. If it were my house, I would pull the three round shrubs blocking the walk and add color there as well, wrap out any type of planting bed there and wave around to the front. Maybe dump or relocate the tree as well. Got some cash? Add an overhang structure over the door and front stoop. Tons of cash? Add a whole new house length covered front porch! Do you watch HGTV?

(Show Curb Appeal)

Reply to
Ron

You have a nice looking house and landscaping, but the door and sidelights are really odd looking. The colonial trim is neat. I would put either double doors, in white, that match the colonial style. A couple of planters on the corners of the stoop could add color.

Just painting the door and side thingys white might do it - the present black/white chops them up into too many pieces. Some bright brass hardware and knocker might look nice and fit with the colonial style. What color is the garage door?

Reply to
NorMinn

I agree. Use a software program that you can get from one of the paint stores, or just use Photoshop. Try changing the front door color or adding some contrasting hardware. I'd also play with the sidelights. Their white/black details really don't work. Changing them somehow or replacing them entirely, perhaps with patterned glass might work well.

You might also consider changing the white trim that surrounds the door to another color, perhaps a green. As it is, the contrast between the white and the rest is a bit too strong.

And I agree that the front walk is obstructed (at least from this view). A visible front walk will make the entrance more inviting. I'd remove the three round bushes that hide the walk and plant flowers or short perennials.

Regardless, it's a fine looking house.

Randy

Reply to
Randy Crawford

If you're still looking for ideas, HGTV has a whole show devoted to this topic.

may have some images to inspire (or horrify) you.

Reply to
montana