In praise of Google IMAGES searches

Often (and, perhaps, not as often as is justified), questioners here get "DAGS" replies. I would suggest an amended (if awkward as a new acronym) reply to some of those questioners, DAGIS - do a google images search. For starters, this cuts down on web documents that do not have relevant pictures -- and, often, the questioner is looking for a picture of an item or a plan, or both.

And, it can be easier to scan the results.

Consider a recent question posted here for rubber band gun plans. Compare the results from a simple Google search:

and from a Google images search:

(A side benefit: Note that the images link is shorter, so fewer "wrap" problems - a bane of some here.)

FWIW. -- Igor

PS: While I may not agree with these distinctions as a general proposition (i.e., outside DOD), for those woodsmith wordsmiths among us, re the term "acronym", this is from a recent Wash Post article:

For those who don't know the drill, the Army document explains that an abbreviation is a shortened form of a word or phrase, such as "appt" for "appointment." A brevity code is an abridged form, normally in uppercase letters, of commonly used phrases (for example, "REFRAD means release from active duty"). And an acronym is a word manufactured from the initial letter or letters of a name or a series of words ("ASAP means as soon as possible").

igor

WOW! 354,000 down to 301. Great tip! Thanks.

I like the Commando gun. :)

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Sat, Jan 8, 2005, 4:07pm (EST+5) no snipped-for-privacy@sprynet.com (igor) says: Consider a recent question posted here for rubber band gun plans. Compare the results from a simple Google search:

It ain't like it takes a rocket scientist to figure one out, but, somehow I get the feeling that anyone who asks for "plans" for a rubberband gun, would get no help from a picture of one.

Rubberband gun: One piece of wood, maybe 6" long, 3/4" thick, about 2-3" wide. Drive a nail in one edge, to be a "trigger". Use rubberbands to hold wooden clothes clamp clothes pin on one end. Hook rubberband over one end, pull, and put end of rubberband in clothespin. Hold like a pistol, pul "trigger", clothespin opens, rubberband shoots.

Or, hold your hand out, make a fist, point your first finger out, loop rubberband over the end of the finger, hold in place with thumb. Point, lift thumb, shoot rubberband.

And, now we're going to get some weenie whining about how dangerous rubberband guns are and womeone is going to get blinded.

JOAT EVERY THING THAT HAPPENS STAYS HAPPENED.

- Death

Reply to
J T

If I wanted to see pictures of rubber band guns my Google search would have been:

+"rubber band gun" +picture

Here's they results of that search which even links to "Google Images":

Novak Buffalo, NY - USA (Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply)

Reply to
Nova