I was there and saw and heard it

Page 2 of 2
JG responds:

Don't take that to the bank. There are a bunch of people on extended duty tours now who thought that they'd be home after a specific number of months, and there are a bunch of people at home who will be going back, though they were told that possibility was remote when all this started.
One way to defeat under and unemployment, a new draft law?
Charlie Self "The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun
Charlie Self wrote:

It's a medical waiver, in writing, counter-signed by a Lt. Col.

I know many of those folks. last month TWO people just from my shift at the Police Department just got activated. for one of them this will be his _4th_ trip over.
-- John G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.
http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg
wide-eyed, with arms akimbo:

Is that where they wave the paper at you and tell you it ain't worth the ink it was written in? (What the general wants, the general gets.) =:0

Ouch! And he doesn't glow in the dark yet? (Yes, I know that nearly 50% of the studies about DU say it won't hurt you, but the other half...)
--
STOP LIVING LIKE VEAL
-----------------------

Oh, SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURE you are. That's why you had to get the shots and have the DNA test.
They'll have you over there by next month, helping the Iraquis build spokshaves. Y'know, those weapons of lath construction. <groan>
Best of luck, Guntie.
--
STOP LIVING LIKE VEAL
-----------------------
Larry Jaques wrote:

At least I can do my job from anywhere in the world, I don't _NEED_ to be 100 miles off the coast or even on shore. It's good to be a "super-geek"
John G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.
http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg
wide-eyed, with arms akimbo:

That's good, and it reminds me of a sticker I saw today.
"Talk Nerdy To Me"
--
STOP LIVING LIKE VEAL
-----------------------

Quite probably it was an Army or Navy CMH. There were no awards of Air Force CMHs until Vietnam...I think it didn't exist as a separate entity until then, but I don't know for sure. Charlie Self "The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun
that second Louie wasn't as much of an AH as the idiot that stopped me outside the PX at Luke AFB one hot afternoon to read me the riot act for not saluting his highness.
I might add that BOTH my arms were full of packages that I had just purchased...sigh.
dave
Hoyt Weathers wrote:

I too had a Marine Officer in Subic Bay walk across a busy street and chew me out as I didn't render a salute to him when he was on one side and I was on the other. he was a junior office so I cut him some slack and gave him what he wanted. Some officers are very insecure. Ross

raj656 wrote:

I vividly remember walking out of the hospital at Andrews Air Force base with my father (a Major at the time) during the height of the Vietnam War. As we walked past an airman who didn't salute or even acknowledge our existence, I asked my dad, "Wasn't he supposed to salute?". "Yes, but he probably had something more important on his mind and didn't notice me", my father said. "Look where we are."
As I think back on that, I realize what a thoughtful person my old man was/is. And no, I'd say he wasn't insecure.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
Bay Area Dave wrote:

According to _my_ copy of the B.M.R. (NAVEDTRA 14325) Chapter Nine, Page 9 Saluting a superior is not required:
"When carrying articles with both hands, or otherwise occupied making saluting impracticable"
-- ITSN Gunterman NAVSUPACT MID-SOUTH http://www.shavings.net/creed.htm
that's pretty much what I told the second Louie, and his response was that I should have made sure my right arm was "free" to salute. At that point I knew I was dealing with a total moron and said nothing more.
dave
JG wrote:

Would he have been labeled a moron or a 'miscreant', Dave??? Just wondering.....     ;-)                Mark L.
Bay Area Dave wrote:

definitely a "moron". Miscreant is different. BUT: there are folks here who fit both descriptions! :)
(Glad to see somebody's got their sense of humor intact!)
dave
Mark L. wrote:

Your first clue shoulda been the rank and the riot act.