I was there and saw and heard it

Page 1 of 2
I decided not to post as OT.
Background: I was an Aviation Cadet at Lackland AFB in San Antonio, Texas in early January and February of 1953. I was in the barracks bay of a very special Airman. He had been in the Korean Conflict and had earned a Medal of Honor for his actions as a gunner aboard a 2-engined boomer in Korea. I was in the same barracks as he was. All there knew of his medal and fully respected him for for his bravery in combat.
One day, a very uptight and very starched, 2nd Lt.. was walking towards us on the way to chow. We were 2nd classmen by then. I was just behind the airman in question.
As per the orders, I saluted the officer and held my salute.
The airman ahead of me did not solute the officer. I held my solute.
The officer called Halt. We both stopped. The officer ask, very forcefully, why the airman did not salute him. The Airman ahead of me slowly raised his left arm and hand and pointed across to his chest to his Medal of Honor medal.
The officer came to a very full brach and held it.
After a minute or so, the airman returned his salute.
I held my salute until the officer replied.
I never knew of the history of that officer or that Airman.
On this Memorial Day, I salute that airman.
He is a hero to me.
Hoyt W.
Add pictures here
βœ–
In rec.woodworking

Strangely enough, there are no airmen that won a Medal Of Honor in the Korean conflict. There were 4 given to Air Force officers. This sounds like an urban legend to me.
http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/mohkor2.htm
Additionally, he would still be required to salute the Lt.
http://www.news.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_idx07
"Even with it’s widespread recognition, there are still a number of erroneous beliefs about the medal and its recipients.
“There’s nothing in the Navy regulations that makes any mention of the Medal of Honor except for its order of precedence on the uniform,” said Hudner.
The most common myth is that military personnel are required to initiate a salute to a Medal of Honor recipient, regardless of rank. Hudner said another myth is that medal recipients are prevented from returning to combat."
Add pictures here
βœ–
<<snippage about an airman, a 2LT and a CMH

Very true...the lower rank is required to salute first...
...However, I HAVE seen some fairly high ranking officers, upon realizing that they were in the presence of a CMH "winner", working very fast indeed, to be able to salute first. The medal, if not the man.
As to the second point, the exact thing that brings a man to do something that is "worth" a CMH is much the same thing that makes him go back...if he can, that is. I hope someone can check me on this, but 20-some years ago when I was in the USN, I heard from someone I trusted, but can't vouch for, that over 65% of CMH medals were posthumously awarded.
Accurate? No? Help me out here, Gang.
Mike
Add pictures here
βœ–

According to webpage http://members.aol.com/WarLibrary/vwc13.htm ,
"Of the 204 Medals of Honor awarded during the V'nam War, 149, or 73% were awarded posthumously."
Not certain how credable it is though.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I heard from someone I trusted, but can't vouch for,

posthumous award http://www.homeofheroes.com/moh/war/1_a_main.html
Master Chief Jack
Add pictures here
βœ–
The Davenports ask:

I couldn't find it. The CMH was first awarded during the Civil War, with over 1500 citations--the only award for valor. 25 of those awards were posthumous. There were only 238 CMH awards during the entire Vietnam Award, long after it became the nation's leading honor for valor. A more accurate comparision might be between posthumous WWII awards and Civil War awards, but I didn't find one.
Did you know there were 19 double Congressional Award winners? That is truly astonishing.
Charlie Self "The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun
Add pictures here
βœ–
In rec.woodworking snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

The stats are on this site:
http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/mohstats.htm
17.7% were awarded posthumously. 614 of 3459
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 01 Jun 2004 08:51:56 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:
<snip>

Five of the double awards came during the time that the Navy Medal and the Army Medal were considered to be separate awards. If you read the citations, they were both awarded for the same action and would, today, be cause for only one award. Please be aware that I am not denigrating the recipients in any way. There are indeed 14 recipients who received two awards of the Medal for entirely separate actions. And, as you say, that is truly astonishing - and humbling.
You can read the citations at:
    http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/moh1.htm
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Add pictures here
βœ–
Bruce wrote:

You are dead-assed wrong. I was there and saw it happen. You did not. I stand by my word. Pull your head out. Hoyt W.
Add pictures here
βœ–
You must have been smoking some pretty good stuff, Hoyt; there were 3 majors and a captain in the AF that received the Medal of Honor during the Korean Conflict. No enlisted personnel in the AF are listed. Nice try. got any more war stories for us? Any that are true??
dave
Hoyt Weathers wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
In rec.woodworking

Pull my head out? I gave the US GOVERNMENT websites that prove your wrong about the medal winner. I can't prove the Lt didn't salute the phantom medal winner but if he did, I proved he was wrong too.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Bruce wrote:

I looked at the website and came up with the following USAF winners during the Korean War:
Maj. George Davis Maj. Charles Loring Maj.Louis Sebille Capt. John Walmsley
None of these brave men lived to return anyone's salute.
There are plenty of enlisted and noncomissioned personnel listed on the site; but none of them were Air Force. Most of them were Army and Marine Corps....
My other thought: that possibly this was an Army Air Corps member was shot down (pardon the pun) by finding the USAF was officially formed on July 26, 1947. There was no Army Air Corps by the time the hostilities in Korea began (June 25, 1950).
Another possibility is that the airman won his CMH in WWII rather than Korea. Or it's urban legend, as already suggested.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
βœ–
Bruce responds:

According to http://www.homeofheroes.com/moh/war/1_a_main.html there were 4 Air Force CMH awards during the Korean War.
Charlie Self "The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun
Add pictures here
βœ–

and all of them were awarded posthumously according to your site..
randy
Add pictures here
βœ–
(Charlie Self) wrote:

βœ–
Doug Miller writes:

Yabbut there were a number of cross-service awards then and earlier. Navy and Army records show sort of a cross-reporting, and, in fact, of the 19 double winners, 4 were actually duoble reports by different services.
In other words, it is at least a possibility. I'm not about to jump on someone over that kind of thing.
Charlie Self "The test and the use of man's education is that he finds pleasure in the exercise of his mind." Jacques Barzun
Add pictures here
βœ–

Even more important, why is an argument being created out of this? Whether true or not, this myth or truth whichever it is, should be taken as an honourable reflection of what the CHB means. Hell, even I can see that and I'm not American.
Add pictures here
βœ–
In rec.woodworking

Oh please, there are plenty of TRUE heroic stories out there that we could read to honor soldiers. We don't need some story about a guy trying to rub an officers face in the dirt that isn't true. I'm not trying to argue with the guy but I don't appreciate BS being passed off as fact. It sounded like BS too me the minute I read it and that is why I checked the facts. If I don't call it BS, you have 500 guys going to the office today telling an incorrect story.
Add pictures here
βœ–
wrote in message

first off, i must say that i think the medal winner sounds like he was being an ass. if i were a medal winner i would like to think i wouldnt have acted like that. i have no affiliation to the military though and i realize there is a heirchy there involving primal rituals that i really dont want to understand....
but ya. lets just toss the truth out in favor of the 'greater good'. hey, isnt that why we are in iraq in the first place?
randy
Add pictures here
βœ–
xrongor wrote: > lets just toss the truth out in favor of the 'greater good'. hey,

Don't even take this thread there!!!
"they" say my unit is not getting activated, but last drill weekend I got 7 shots, complete long form medical _and_ had my DNA record done.. But we aren't getting activated, nope, no sir... so "they" say.
At least I'm (personally) "Ineligible for Activation" for another 14 Months.....
John G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.
http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg
βœ–