I've got a s**tload of jambs to undercut...

A loose poll...

I've got a pile of door jambs to cut during a large flooring installation. I typically hand cut or use a biscuit joiner to undercut my door jambs. Which would YOU choose:

A Bosch 1640 power flush cut saw.

A Crain door jamb saw (looks like a router)

Something else...

There's a lot of work here, I can easily spring three bills for a tool...

Thanks! Barry

Reply to
B A R R Y

I forgot to mention, a Fein Multimaster with a flush blade.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Can you use the 'Domino'? Ah, never mind. ;)

Reply to
Stoutman

The Fein also does a whack of other jobs...and 'flush' is 'flush'..with a 1/2 mm gap. It is not as agressive as the rotary jobs, so it will take a little longer.

The specialy flush saws are cool...but very limited in use thereafter..

Reply to
Robatoy

Yeah, a little slower than a dedicated tool but I bought a Multimaster kit last year and I use it as much as any one tool.

Reply to
Leon

If I had a pile of jambs to cut I'd rent a jamb saw from Home Depot.

Something similar to:

last I looked it was around $20-$30 for a four hour rental. I think you could cut a "pile" in four hours.

Reply to
Nova

Barry,

We just cut a bunch of jambs in our new place with our Fein Multi Master. It does a nice clean quick job. You will find tons of other uses for it after your flooring job is done.

cm

CM

to:

> The last I looked it was around $20-$30 for a four hour rental. I think

Oh, for chrissakes, Jack... B A R R Y needs another tool... don't take that away from him with all this 'making economic sense' sorta talk...geeeezz

oops..almost forgot..obligatory

Reply to
Robatoy

Great idea, but it's going to be difficult to do them all in a timely fashion. It's a multi-room remodel. I could remove the carpet around all of the doors, but there's a woman involved, so "environmental impact" needs to be reasonably minimized.

As much as I hate big box stores, my local HD does have a very good tool rental. If I can't rent it, I usually try to buy specialty stuff used and kick it off to eBay later.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I'll bet Charlie is working out a method right now!

If a Domino would do this, there'd be no question...

Reply to
B A R R Y

Thanks, guys.

A Fein Multimaster would be handy to have around.

Reply to
B A R R Y

NO! Robatoy, YOU get it straight. Since when is "NEED" the operative word around here other than when describing a forthcoming purchase to SWMBO?

Keep it honest. He WANTS...

Reply to
Say What?

I have the Fein and it works great. Their vac is great too. I have 2 of those, one for each floor. Love 'em. Donna

Reply to
Donna

Yup! I'm not too proud to admit it!

I'm going for the Multimaster, as the job also includes a new oak staircase. The staircase is all oak, including risers and stringers, and I get to sand and finish it. The MM will be helpful getting into the corners.

Reply to
B A R R Y

to:

>>>The last I looked it was around $20-$30 for a four hour rental. I think

What was I thinking! Lately my neighbor and I have been installing a number of laminate floors. I should have recommended that Barry purchase the jamb saw and then sell it when he's finished with the project... to me... cheap. ;-)

Reply to
Nova

Rent the jamb saw and do the job.... much quicker and cheaper than the Fein... The Fein is a great tool but waaay too slow for a metric ass load of door jambs.

Of course, there is "always" the classic hand jamb saw for really tight spots....

B A R R Y wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber