I stole from Home Depot!

I got a wallet for Christmas a couple years back that set off the alarms at EVERY store I entered and exited. I looked through the wallet for a tag and failed to find it until I got really creative in my search. It was WELL hidden and very tiny. Now I have peace and quiet as I go through the entrances.

Dave

Reply to
David

How many times has letting them look through your things stopped you from stealing? Can't you stop on your own?

Reply to
CW

Since you top-posted a post that had been responded to in proper chronological order, we have no clue as to whether you are agreeing with the first post or the second. ... and frankly, I'm not interested in having to wade through some legal link to find out.

Mark & Juanita

Like this whole thing is on topic? "rec.woodworking"

I give you win yep I am and was off topic was the question about a TS? BS? Router? Planer? Jointer?

Al

Reply to
Al

They can't legally do that either and what's to stop you from going home and putting on your own highlighter mark? So long as you have a receipt, they are obligated, under the law, to treat you equally or they open themselves to a major lawsuit.

Walmart has gotten sued a lot over this, my local store just has an old guy sitting by the door in case the alarm goes off, they don't even pretend to check receipts. There is one Walmart that I used to have to go into to get things for work where the little old lady at the door would literally chase you out into the parking lot screaching at the top of her lungs.

If you're not stealing, what difference does it make? And you think the people who are stealing are going to stop?

Reply to
Brian Henderson

Heh, for the longest time we had one of those plastic security tags on a portable stroller that nobody had a tool to take off and doing it otherwise would tear the fabric and ruin the stroller so we just set off alarms going into and out of a lot of stores. It was as interesting to see which ones weren't going off as it was to see which ones were.

It must have been a year or so before we found someone who could actually take it off, I guess it was an old system or something.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

In my experience, those store (and library) alarms draw as much attention from "official" store personnel as do neighborhood car alarms.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

What *I* did, in a very similar situation at Home Depot was go somewhere else to buy what I needed, leaving the merchandise at the checkout station.

The next time I was there, the 'self service; checkout stations were gone.

They've come back now, but only a couple of them with an adequate number of real people who can check our items priced by quanity.

Like lumber, for example.

Reply to
fredfighter

You had told the employee that you thought you had stolen something?

Why?

I asked a _competent_ employee why they were checking receipts on the way out. He explained that sometimes people will buy something, take it home, them bring back the receipt and try to walk out with a second item. The person at the door is supposed to be checking the TIME and DATE on the receipt to verify that it was just issued.

Reply to
fredfighter

Hopefully that makes up for the frustration you feel when you discover that the NAPA parts don't fit your car....

Leastways, they usually did not fit mine.

Reply to
fredfighter

lol, so you semi top-post to tell me this?

I'm hoping you can guess from the url - constitution, bill of rights - #4?

as to top posting, I top posted to a top poster. What do you do? I used to "fix up" with a cut & paste to the bottom but I've gotten tired of that. Used to net-cop, too.

Reply to
George Shouse

Should have read, "told her as I had told the employee that if they thought I had stolen something to call the police."

Sorry bout that.

John

Reply to
John Emmons

LOL!! funny, but you know what i'm talking about, CW. I personally don't steal, but i'm sure it acts as a deterrent for some folks.

Reply to
nanook

Regardless, if you've ever tried to remove one of those damn magnetic lock thingies yourself you'll probably decide it is well worth your while to turn around at th edoor and go back to get it taken care of.

Reply to
fredfighter

> I believe that something I own is covered under "effects".

It becomes necessary to determine when it is that ownership of the merchandise changes from the store to the customer.

One would naively su[ppose that happens as soon as the money changes hands but ISTR that in most states it actuall happens when the merchandise passes through the door. I guess you money is still yours up to that point too.

Of course this has nothing to do with your effects that you brought with you to the store.

And of course the Bill of Rights directly restricts government action, not private action. Private action is restricted by a number of indirect appraoches, mostly via the ICC and the 14th amendment.

Reply to
fredfighter

Regardless of whether or not the person is oblidged to stop the notion that _reasonable_ suspicion must be based on _proof_ is just plain wrong. It must be based on evidence, but that evidence may fall short of proof.

Reply to
fredfighter

I had fun at the home depot the other day. I had about 150' of smurf tube, 14 carefully coiled in the bottom of a cart and one loose stick. I ran all my fittings and small stuff through the machine and asked the helper droid to crank in quantity 15 on the stick I had out. The supervisor lady said she wanted to check the ones I had in the cart. I stood back and told her to go for it. 140 feet of 3/4" smurf tube sprung to life. People were running, babies were crying and women fainted. There was certainly a lot of laughing. Short story I got the smurf tube for the price of the one I scanned for gathering it up and getting it out the door.

Reply to
gfretwell

By Thu, 11 May 2006 15:01:25 -0600, Dave Balderstone decided to post "Re: I stole from Home Depot!" to rec.woodworking:

Keep on supporting the chinese military by shopping at Walmart with the other sheep. They will soon be YOUR overlords. Please try not to piss them off....

/..

Reply to
/..

Do not I repeat do not pay the next time you go in you will be arrested for theft if you tell them, have herd of it happen before.

Reply to
redice

Nonsense. No business will have you arrested for paying for a product! "Officer, arrest that man! He's paying for something!"

Dave

Teamcasa