I stole from Home Depot!

Page 3 of 4

On Thu, 11 May 2006 20:46:30 -0700, Mark & Juanita

lol, so you semi top-post to tell me this?
I'm hoping you can guess from the url - constitution, bill of rights - #4?
as to top posting, I top posted to a top poster. What do you do? I used to "fix up" with a cut & paste to the bottom but I've gotten tired of that. Used to net-cop, too.

George Shouse wrote:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.billofrights.html#amendmentiv
It becomes necessary to determine when it is that ownership of the merchandise changes from the store to the customer.
One would naively su[ppose that happens as soon as the money changes hands but ISTR that in most states it actuall happens when the merchandise passes through the door. I guess you money is still yours up to that point too.
Of course this has nothing to do with your effects that you brought with you to the store.
And of course the Bill of Rights directly restricts government action, not private action. Private action is restricted by a number of indirect appraoches, mostly via the ICC and the 14th amendment.
--

FF

John Emmons wrote:

You had told the employee that you thought you had stolen something?
Why?
I asked a _competent_ employee why they were checking receipts on the way out. He explained that sometimes people will buy something, take it home, them bring back the receipt and try to walk out with a second item. The person at the door is supposed to be checking the TIME and DATE on the receipt to verify that it was just issued.
--

FF

Should have read, "told her as I had told the employee that if they thought I had stolen something to call the police."
Sorry bout that.
John

Pay them - on your next visit. Next time, ask for help or better yet, shop at a place that has better customer service. Dave
TeamCasa wrote:

Do not I repeat do not pay the next time you go in you will be arrested for theft if you tell them, have herd of it happen before.

No business will have you arrested for paying for a product! "Officer, arrest that man! He's paying for something!"
Dave
Teamcasa wrote:

LOL! I almost asked the poster earlier today to provide names and dates of such arrests. Maybe he heard it from a friend who heard it from a friend...
Dave
Teamcasa wrote:

It may seem like there is a fine line between telling the manager, I stole these last week but wan tto pay for them now, and I got home and saw from the receipt that I hadn't paid for these and want to pay for them now.
But the former is admitting to a crime while the latter stops short of that and simply acknowledges that he owes the store some money.
A third option is to carry them in and simply go through the check-out counter and pay for them without saying anything, which I think is what the advice suggested.
--

FF

Well here in the south, our droids run on extremely low power at all times . . . usually they are the ones to throw it in the bag and say don't worry about . . . They to are tired of begging for "price check at register" so and so . . . I left with 14 Simpson straps a few days ago this way .
At Office Depot, after "pitching a bitch" about no one at the check out counters for over 15 minutes . . . a manager simply walked up and started pushing my flat cart with a folding table and a case of paper out the door to my truck . . . loaded it, apologized and ask me to come again . . . no money ever changed hands . . . .
Steve

I was once given about thirty dollars of pipe by a Home Desperate manager.
I went in and bought four, ten-foot lengths of pipe for pipe clamps, had them cut into three pieces (2, 3 and 5-feet long), and threaded on both ends of all the peices. They give you one threading for free, and charge for any more. The drone in plumbing didn't know how to write up the ticket for the extra cuts and threading, so we walked up front to talk to someone else, who also had no clue. They called another cluless droid, who called another, who called another, who called another... ...over the course of twenty minutes every droid in the store had come up and tried something but none of their somethings had worked. Finally the manager came up front to see what all the calls were about. He tried a couple of things, neither of which worked. Finally he looked over at me and asked, "How long have you been standing here while we have been trying to figure this out?"
When I told him it was pushing a half hour, he told me he was sorry for my inconveniance, and to take the pipe and leave. I was back in the store a week later, and there were prices and codes for the extra cut and thread fees posted next to the machines.
I thought about writing a letter to corporate, to let them know how much I appreciated being treated right, but thought better of it. I figure they would probably fire him for it.

The lags have a code ---usually 3 letters like....AAG....on the head. That code needs to be entered into the system X the count.
If I were you I would just go back and pay. I once bought a bunch of pipes and fittings. When I got home I realized that I had screwed one piece to another and left it that way at checkout. The lady just scanned one item. The next time I went back I just brought the item with me and told the the story and paid for it. If you don't pay for it you're a thief. If I'm going to be a thief it should be BIG money..not some lags, etc
"Joe" wrote in message

You're right. They say everyman has his price ... but a buck eight?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06

I was at the local Napa today to get an airfilter, and told the guy that I owed the store $1.26 for a couple of plastic license plate nuts and machine screws. He remembered the transaction, said thanks for coming back to pay, and looked genuinely pleased to have had me come in. That's just gravy for me. The real payoff is the satisfaction and peace of mind I get from doing the right thing.
JP ***************************** The soapbox is yours.
Jay Pique wrote:

Sonce today was my birthday (69) I went for a nice lunch at a local microbrewery. Along with a very good fettucine with portobello mushrooms and chunks of prime rib, I had a pint of stout and a pint of dunkel. They forgot to charge for the stout. I told the waitress I wasn't going to cheat someone on my birthday, and she said the stout would be a birthday present. Good feelings all around.
BTW, the pints inspired me to compose the following bit of verse.
Here's to the brew you can't see through, Black as a witch's cat. If the porter runs out I'll switch to stout, Straight from the brewers tap.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

I'll drink to that.
Happy Birthday, Larry!
Jay Pique wrote:

Hopefully that makes up for the frustration you feel when you discover that the NAPA parts don't fit your car....
Leastways, they usually did not fit mine.
--

FF

1. Be honest.
2. Don't waste our time with this childrish drivel. Get a life.
Roy Smith wrote:

that there was no IRS agent available to help you fill out the forms correctly?
Dave

same price (if you are honest) and scan it again. That works with a bag full of stuff but only a couple items can be a problem