I'm always amazed at what people will pay.

Page 1 of 2
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Ton-Arbor-Press-Assembly-Work-Hand-Operated-Bench-Mountable-60-Day-Warranty/171276952624?_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D33601%26meid%3D63c9faea785543298c0ce92875752031%26pid%3D100010%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D24%26sd%3D351461850179
This is a HF 1 ton arbor press that normally is available on sale for 49.99, like it is now,
But many have bought it from this ebay guy for 83.98 (29 idiots).
It even has the Central Machinery tag on it. And at the bottom of the listing it proudly displays the central machinery name.
They even offer free shipping. I bet he orders it and has it delivered from HF for the 6.99 shipping they charge... Now he is still ahead $27 for doing nothing other than placing the order for the idiot who ordered it.
--
Jeff

On 10/3/2015 9:50 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Caveat Emptor was never more true today with Ebay and Craigslist than in was in years (centuries?) past.
You can traverse both Ebay and Craigslist if you have a bit of sense and knowledge about that which you are buying. If not, you're no better off than the rube who walks into a parts shop without a clue and walks away with a $7.69 shear pin or pair of cotter pins.
Dumb is dumb in ANY venue
woodchucker wrote:
Remember what P T Barnum advised.
You don't sell the steak, you sell the sizzle.
Or perhaps you have forgotten, Only the seller knows ther true value of the item being sold according to John Ruskin.
Lew
On Sun, 4 Oct 2015 00:13:51 -0500, Unquestionably Confused

Depending on the vendor, 90% of that $7.69 is 'teaching fee' or 'stupid tax' ;-)

The same guy "texastoolstore" appears to be offering a large chunk of HF inventory and making a nice living.
For instance:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-3-Ton-Heavy-Duty-Steel-Low-Profile-Floor-Jack-Rapid-Pump-Show-Car-Lowrider-/171347709040 http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-low-profile-steel-heavy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-61282.html
$15 X 749 = $11,235 (profit on this 1 item)
His other items: http://www.ebay.com/sch/texastoolstore/m.html
On 10/4/2015 5:46 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:

Simply amazing... I can't believe that there are that many ill-informed (or maybe desperate for Harbor Freight crap) people out there that would pay those prices.
Even more amazing is the seller's rating. I've bought a lot of stuff on Ebay over the years and always leave appropriate feedback. He can't rig that and his approval rating is sky high. Fools and their money are happily parted it seems.
And if you look at the miniscule number of "complaints" the greater majority are of the "...he'd complain if they hanged him with new rope" variety. I'm betting his approval rating for the Harbor Freight stuff he's selling is higher than Harbor Freight's!
Go figure! <g>
On 10/4/2015 5:46 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:

Not pointing fingers here but almost all retail stores charge different prices. Add to that, stores like HD and Lowes have different pricing on the same items depending on which of their stores you go into.
So if you have found that you can beat a price offered by someone by simply buying from HF, does that mean that the you may be a sucker if you bought something from HD?
In fact, Rockler has a retail catalog and a business catalog. Neither guarantees a better price than the other. Sometimes the retail catalog offers better prices than the business catalog and visa versa.
On 10/4/2015 9:26 AM, Leon wrote:

Prices vary wildly between brands and retailers for the same item. I bought a pair of Dockers slacks at Casual Male for $55. I bought the same exact slack under the WalMart brand for $18. I went over them stitch by stitch and they were identical.
Some of the HF tools are identical to the high priced outlets too. You just have to figure which ones as the do sell cheap crap too.
On 10/4/2015 11:08 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yes and no. Many times they are. Sometimes the specs on one branding use higher quality parts (bearings, windings, metal) so it's not so easy to see. They maybe the same casting, but not the same material. Sometimes different plastic.. looks the same, but one might have glass, or be a high temp variety.
I'm with you on most though. I watched sears sell the same stuff as HF under their evolve line. But for more money.
--
Jeff

On 10/4/2015 10:08 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Exactly!
A similar example, I bought probably 20 plus shirts over a 4~8 month period from a Columbia outlet store. I paid on average of $10 each. These are daily wear shirts and are probably 7 years old now and are still holding up well. In that same time period the exact same shirts were selling at Bass Pro Shop for $45~$65. Same brand and labels.

On Sun, 04 Oct 2015 10:32:10 -0500, Leon wrote:

I don't wear them daily, but I've got 3 I bought for under $5 each at least 15 years ago and maybe even 20. Got them from one of those surplus catalogs we all you to get in the mail.
They still look like new, but the label is getting hard to read - it says "North Carolina Dept of Correction"! I call them my prison shirts :-).
Lemme tell you, NC got a heck of a bargain on those - I keep thinking of writing to see if I can get more, but they probably don't even have the same supplier they had then.
On Sunday, October 4, 2015 at 10:08:04 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Not sure what you are saying. You wrote you bought a pair of "Dockers" pan ts for $55 at a retailer. And you wrote you bought a pair of "Walmart" bra nd pants for $18, assume at Walmart. You did not buy the same pants at bot h stores. You bought "Dockers" brand and "Walmart" brand pants at differen t stores. This thread is about someone selling Harbor Freight tools on eBa y for more money. The exact same Central Machinery Harbor Freight tool. Y ou are talking about buying "Dockers" brand and "Walmart" brand pants for d ifferent prices. Being different brands, one would expect them to have dif ferent prices. Dockers are a Levis brand. And Walmart contracts with some one to make clothing with their brand on the label.
Whether "Dockers" brand and "Walmart" brand pants are the same quality and construction is a different question. Kind of like asking whether "Jet" or "Delta" or "Harbor Freight" table saws are better. It could be the same f actory in China makes all of the table saws.

Just pointing out that it is smart to check around. The difference between Dockers and the WalMart brand is zero. Identical in every way except the price. Harbor Freight items are also identicl to other brands selling for 2 or 3 times the price. Only difference is the label. Same material, same factory.
Delta and Jet is another situation. They are both about equal in quality and price, but made in different factories, or at least to different specifications. Many Sears/Kenmore/Craftsman products are identical to name brand products with cosmetic changes.
Toss into the mix the same item sold by Big Box stores and local stores. Say a DeWalt miter saw. The small stores try to tell you they are different, but not one has ever proven anything.

Sears sells a lot of HF welders, migs and tigs, all they do in both cases is use different labels.
I have a sneaky feeling that HF buys "surplus lots" and puts their name on it like all the rest.
Some of the Rocker wooden lathes are HF lathes, and why spend big bucks for knives when a set costs only 35 bucks at HF. It is all so amazing to me.
Now if I could just get good drawer slides at a reduced price. :)
On 10/7/2015 5:36 PM, OFWW wrote:

price. I just bought 6 22" slides for less than $15 perpair including screws.
http://www.cabinethardware.com/G-Slide-4270-100LB-Full-Ext-Slide-with-Soft-Close-p/1012.htm?1=1&CartID=0
On 10/7/2015 6:36 PM, OFWW wrote:

I got a good deal a year or so ago on blum motion undermount slides. I paid 17 a piece for about 6 pair. EBAY. I don't see that dealer there anymore, but there are deals out there.
--
Jeff

On 10/4/2015 6:46 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:

Maybe I'm in the wrong business. Maybe I should consider getting a deal with HF, to ship anywhere. This guys making a good living sitting at home.
--
Jeff

I recently bought the same tool at our local HF for about $10. - including tax.
On 10/3/2015 10:50 PM, woodchucker wrote:

You've just identified the majority of voters in the US.