I found it in the street.....

Page 1 of 3
On my way to work on Monday, I came around a corner and spotted what looked to be a utility knife. I pulled over, looked - sure enough - it was. A little knicked up, but perfectly useable.
This got me to about other stuff I've found....in no particular order....
a Craftsman channel lock - which Sears replaced under the lifetime warranty - one of the "teeth" was broken off
a 14" adjustable wrench
a 24" Quik Grip clamp - found this in the spring after the snow melted - rusted, but some elbow grease and steel wool brought it back to life.
assorted sockets
a chain binder
gobs of bungy straps
So what have you found?
I don't look down at my feet when I walk, so I've found nothing! :)
dave
Jim Laumann wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com says...

Obviously never spent time on a farm. :-)
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Or in Mom's back yard. She has six dogs.

perhaps you should....found $60 rolled in to a tube with a rubber band around it.... bought me and SWMBO dinner and drinks...
WARRENRN1 wrote:

Gadzooks... $60 would buy me and SWMBO and the kids dinner and drinks for two, maybe three weeks. :)
On 07 Dec 2003 14:47:14 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (WARRENRN1) wrote:

Many years ago my roommate and I were coming home from a concert and he picked up an envelope that was lying in the gutter. It contained $480 and about a gram of cocaine. He spent about a week hoping it wasn't a plant. Paid the rent that month.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
(WARRENRN1) wrote:

And what did he do with the money? ;o)
kidding!
Dave
I lost a 14" adjustable wrench and some sockets.

Tom wrote:

If anybody found any of that stuff in Raleigh, NC, it might well have been mine. One time my side box flew open while I was making a turn, and it ejected my toolbox into the street, right in front of a pickup truck that ran over it. No harm, no foul, no damage, but it was a very busy street, and I wanted to get the hell out of there before somebody decided to see how good my company's insurance policy was, so I left a lot of my sockets and whatnot in the street.
I'm finding tools all the time, around 1 every month or two. My wife thinks I've the greatest eyes in the world. I've found sockets, adjustable wrenches, pliers, tape measures, screw drivers, knives, cargo straps, bungees, plastic milk cartons, hacksaw, all manner of goodies. Even found a small toolbox once loaded with tools, no names-nada.
Jim Laumann wrote:

Jim Laumann wrote:

I have no pride when it comes to pawing through neighbors' trash. My shop cabinets used to be in the next door neighbor's kitchen. The hollow core door I use for assembly came from the trash 4 houses up the street. An old claw hammer and a servicable bench brush were liberated from other discard piles just hours before their internment in the city landfill. The desk in the downstairs office is in such good shape I knocked on the neighbor's door to make sure they were throwing it away.
Businesses throw a lot of stuff away in office moves. Two discarded whiteboards were ripped to fit in the panels of my garage door. Two desks became my 3' x 5' drafting table, two 4-drawer roll arounds, and a number of jigs and misc -- including the top of my drill press table.
I've found many sockets & misc hand tools just lying around. The #2 Phillips in my tool belt was left behind by an MDU (Montana - Dakota Utilities) crew over 25 years ago. ;-)
-- Mark

P.S. I also return the favors... Space is limited in my one car garage shop so when I decide something has to go I put it out by the curb a couple days before trash pickup and label it with a "Free" poster. It's mostly guys in pickups that have taken the shelves, fence posts, partial rolls of wire, unneeded lawn equipment, etc. When I got tired of the dripping oil & mess from the almost never used chain saw and grease gun, I took them to the neighbor 2 doors down who has a weekend tree trimming business & offered them to him. I walked back empty handed, and now he waves whenever he sees me. <g>
-- Mark
Mark Jerde wrote:

Me too. We have a free pickup twice a year where they come and get damn near anything. People drive around and look at other people's trash, and a lot of it never actually makes it to the dump.
I guess I'm not the only one who would rather throw something away and/or give it away for free than have a yard sale. I hate yard sales.
This past time, my most noteworthy giveaway freebie was a perfectly functional garden tiller that I just don't use, and which was eating too much precious space in my shed. I even started it before I rolled it out, just to make sure it still worked. It lasted about two hours.
I've made out pretty good from store closing. My wife worked at a Goodys store in town when it closed. I ended up with several large pieces of display tables, shelves, cabnits, and a bunch of casters. All for hauling them away. Jim

My wife is a field manager for a big construction company. You wouldn't believe the stuff I have dumpster dived for. * 2x12x16 & 1x4x16 western red cedar (plenty) * framing lumber & OSB * full sticks of 5.5" crown and base (enough to do a house) * all the concrete blocks you want * rebar, tie wires etc (all you want) * a complete set of kitchen cabinets (one had a little water damage) * all sorts of doors and windows * Hunter ceiling fans * sevearl part spools of RG6 quad shield TV coax * all the hardware, hurricane straps, screws etc you are willing to pick up. * pipe, fittings etc It seems once something is dropped at a job site it is expensed and nobody is willing to pick it up and put it back in the system. A double drop or a mistaken order is just tossed in the dumpster. Of course anything with the slightest damage is tossed. I built my shed entirely from "trash" with the exception of the concrete and mortar. It is concrete block, cedar trim, steel doors and complies with the 150mph Florida wind code. (lots of concrete and rebar in the block). You do have to collect things for a while but I bet I could damn near build a whole house with the stuff they throw away in a year. The only thing you would have to buy is the stuff that doesn't keep, like concrete. They still throw plenty away but it ends up being giant dinosaur turds on the ground
$250.00 run over by so many cars it was flat. Pealed it apart and it spent well.

Hmmm... let's see:
On the road... 1/2" combo wrench 9/16" socket Craftsman slip-joint pliers 2 1" spring clamps Large straight blade screw driver $450 cash nail set No 1 Phillips screw driver stubby Phillips Stanley ratcheting close-quarters screw driver
In the woods... rifle shotgun typewriter sword broken piggy bank camera and other assorted stuff that was burglary proceeds--turned over to the state police.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com says...

My wife found a drill bit, and picked it by driving it into a tire :( She also found a scratch awl much the same way. It didn't stick in the tire, but it sure made a noise in the wheel well.
Greenlee hydralic powerpac for a huge tubing bender.
10' jon boat