I actually used a plane for the first time!

I have bought a few planes at garage sales, tuned and sharpened them, and played with them; but never actually used one.
As dedicated followers of my posts know, I am building bat houses. I did a great job of roughing the surface up with an angle grinder; but when it came time to assemble them, I found a roughed up surface doesn't make a very good glue surface. What to do...
Pulled out my #5 and restored a flat smooth surface to the outside inch. (if everything planed like cedar, I might get attached to them)
Be careful, learning to like planing is a slippery slope! You'll need new and better planes, extra blades, a shooting board, a new honing guide, ......
DAMHIK.
But long, wispy curls of sweet wood and a glassy surface are really neat!
Regards.
Tom

Much as I like my power tools, there is something very satisfying using a plane to shape or smooth the wood. My favorite is the Lee Valley low angle block plane.
wrote in message

mine, a piper cub.......