I actually used a plane for the first time!

I have bought a few planes at garage sales, tuned and sharpened them, and played with them; but never actually used one.

As dedicated followers of my posts know, I am building bat houses. I did a great job of roughing the surface up with an angle grinder; but when it came time to assemble them, I found a roughed up surface doesn't make a very good glue surface. What to do...

Pulled out my #5 and restored a flat smooth surface to the outside inch. (if everything planed like cedar, I might get attached to them)

Reply to
Toller

Be careful, learning to like planing is a slippery slope! You'll need new and better planes, extra blades, a shooting board, a new honing guide, ......

DAMHIK.

But long, wispy curls of sweet wood and a glassy surface are really neat!

Regards.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Banes

Much as I like my power tools, there is something very satisfying using a plane to shape or smooth the wood. My favorite is the Lee Valley low angle block plane.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

mine, a piper cub.......

Reply to