Humidor question

I have a cigar humidor that the wife bought me some years ago. It no longer will hold humidity. The outer laminate is peeling off in places, so I'm thinking it probably is leaking. As this was an expensive humidor, I'd like to save it. It is solid cedar with the outside laminated. I'm thinking that if I de laminate it then sand it real good, I can seal the outside with something, then re laminate it. What are your thoughts. Thanks.
--
Paul O.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com