Fixing hinges of humidor

The hinges came off the door of the humidor (approx. 1.5' x 2') during shipping. The screws that attach the hinges to the humidor popped out and now they cannot be screwed back in because they cannot grab on wood-- there are holes there now. The screws are decorative (golden in color, hard to find replacements) about 2'', probably 1/16'' in diameter.

How can I fix this problem? Is there some kind of glue or compound that I can fill the holes with so that I can screw the hinges back on?

Thank you for your help on this.

Reply to
Enila Nero

Look in the Yellow Pages under "Humidor Hinge Repair."

Reply to
mr_class

Get a piece of soft wood (white pine) and carve it a little bit bigger than the hole. Cover with wood glue and drive into the hole. Let it dry overnight then take a razor blade and trim the excess. Apply the screw with steady medium pressure.

Reply to
TimL

You could try slipping a thin piece of soft wood into the hole, then installing the screw.... Tom

Reply to
tom

Enila Nero wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@csci.csusb.edu:

Jam a bunch of thin toothpicks in the holes. Break them off flush with the surface. If the screws pull out again, put a small amount of glue on the toothpicks.

Reply to
Dan Major

x 2') during

humidor popped out

cannot grab on

decorative (golden

1/16'' in

or compound

hinges back on?

little bit bigger

hole. Let it

Apply the

Wouldn't it be easier with duct tape?

Reply to
Alex W.

Some generic sawdust mixed with Elmer's glue, packed in the stripped out holes and allowed to dry will do the trick.

Good luck

Reply to
Chuck

Drill out the stripped screwhole and glue in a piece of dowel, once cured, drill an appropriate pilot hole and reinstall the original screw

However, I think I would rather FILE a complaint with the folks who broke during shipping - UPS/FedEx/etc and let them foot the bill for a replacement. You might also want to try calling the vendor about replacing it as it arrived broken - they usually will take it back and ship you a replacement

John

Reply to
John

The sawdust and wood glue or toothpick bits and wood glue trick is the best, but I would suggest driving the screws before the glue sets completely. You get a bit of squeeze-out of the glue, but it will set the screw nicely. If you don't do that and fill the old hole with the mix, you might need to predrill new (smaller) holes before you put the screws in, otherwise the wood can split. Sayeth a resident woodworker...

It's not a major operation in either regard.

Good luck!

Will

Reply to
bungalowed

What? The door just came off during shipping? The screws just popped out? How in the hell does a 2" screw just pop out?

Who delivered your humidor a couple of gorila apes?

Contact the shipper and file a claim but remember that you now have a damaged humidor and now go out and buy a new one.

or ...

Go down to the local hardware center and get some 1/4" x 4" lag screws and use those. Problem solved.

Reply to
unapiper

Yes, it did. "With the head first" :-)

Fortunately, the seller agreed to have it picked up and send a new one. (Fingers crossed.)

Thanks to everybody who responded with advice on hinge repair.

Reply to
Enila Nero