Humidor question

Howdy, Relative newby here. I'm looking to make a humidor for my father in law for Christmas. Anybody have advice? In particular, I'm not sure what kind of finish to use that would hold up to the higher humidity and wouldn't have the potential to change the taste of the cigars.

As for wood, I keep flip flopping, but a few candidates are maple and walnut. I was also thinking of something more exotic, like zebrawood. Anybody know of a reason why some woods would be better than others for this particular project?

Thanks in advance. Any advice is much appreciated.

Victor

Reply to
Victor

Spanish Cedar is the traditional wood for humidors--you can either make the whole thing out of it or use it as lining.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Any wood that you would use for any box will do... as long as it's one that YOU like. I'm working on a humidor in mahogany with a crotch mahogany veneer for the top and bottom. The entire humidor is lined with Spanish cedar... now THAT imparts a sweet smell to the cigars! When the frost comes, I'll pull it out to get it finished... until then, I play with my Alfa Spider.

Reply to
Don Sforza

Reply to
wch

Where can I buy Spanish Cedar to use for a liner? Thanks

Reply to
Dave

Spain? :)

Reply to
CW

I've gotten mine.

Reply to
Paul O.

snip!

Any mail-order wood supplier will probably have Spanish Cedar in the cuts and sized you want.

Ed

Reply to
Ed G

Most hardwood suppliers also carry spanish cedar, just make sure you confirm that it is spanish cedar as regular cedar will ruin your cigars. Another option some humidor manufactures use for interior liners is Honduran Mahogany. In my opinion it doesn't age cigars as well, but if your just building a small personal unit, then aging probably isn't your highest priority.

For myself I c> Where can I buy Spanish Cedar to use for a liner?

Reply to
Carter

looked at all sorts of humidors for years, and while some are very pretty, your icebox is much more. Have you considered a whole series in this style? You might even be able to get some sort of design protection.

BTW, the STAEBELL & ASSOCIATES link seems broken.

Reply to
igor

Alas I cannot claim origination of the ice box humidor, as I derived the original idea from someone who had done something similar to an ice box of their own. They however did not modify their ice box at all. They only used the it for storage and didn't bother to line it with anything or make any alternative form of storage. It seemed to be just a semi sealed place to store boxes of cigars for them, but their idea triggered the woodworker in me to take it to the next level, which I believe I did.

I've deleted the broken link as I couldn't find his new one.

Lee Carter Products Company

igor wrote:

Reply to
Carter