How would you?

I'm looking for any suggestions on a little project we have to do in a week or so. This project is basically removing old countertops on a bar so that they can be replaced with granite. The old tops are job site installed Formica on particle board over what are essentially kitchen cabinets. There is also a raised bar. Removing the raised bar is no problem but about 30' of the L shaped back bar has a mirror splash that we are supposed to try to save.

We've bid plenty of time for the project and have an understanding that we'll try to save the mirror but won't have to buy it if we can't.

Our initial plan is to take a sabre saw and saw out most of the top as close to the mirror as we can. Once we get that out, we'll try to use the sawzall to cut between the top and the 3/4" thick blocking that is attached to the cabinets. If the top comes off then we can remove the blocking.

How would you go about it? Any other...better ideas?

Thanks

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

A Fein Multimaster could get "reeeeeel" close.

Reply to
Leon

Is the mirror some etched/frosted thing or just regular mirror? Such attempts often go just fine until you get one little chip in the glass and the Owner insists on replacement - on your dime.

I think this is a job for - ta da! - the Fein Multimaster! I'd just cut the blocking free from the cabinet and remove the whole top- remnant.

RicodJour

Damn, Leon. You beat me by a minute with the Fein Multimaster suggestion!

Just picked up an older but excellent condition Fein 6" ROS from craigslist. Think I'm going to send it to my brother as a gift...

RicodJour

Agreed--this is one of those jobs where the Multimaster is in its element.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Is it possible to use some solvent or lye solution to crumble the particle board? Soak overnight? If the mirror is only 1/4" thick, I'd worry about vibration cracking it. If it's thicker, you're safer. If it's bonded with RTV, you could use a solvent for that. You might also need to worry about staining or etching the silvering if you use liquid, but it's probably protected given its intended use.

Reply to
Denis G.

I was thinking about the Fein too.

I'm going to have to get the top out so the new tops can sit on the cabinets. If I go ahead and cut most of the top out, do you think the Fein will be man enough to cut through 30' of blocking and fasteners to separate the top?

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Just regular 1/4" mirror but in big pieces as it goes 4' up the back wall.

We bid this for a General Contractor and we all agreed that we wouldn't be responsible for the mirror. My guess is that he covered his own butt in that regard with his price..

Since it's L shaped and has splash on the ends too, it has to come out in pieces. The Fein seems to be the general consensus so it looks like it's time to get one.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

It will, but how about you?

When you buy it get the one with all the blades going in.

They really bite you in the rear for after market blade purchases.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Check under the cabinets for shims. Maybe removing them, if any, would help the situation.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Fortunately those Fein blades have dropped in price with the competition undercutting their prices. IIRC the Fein 3-packs are about 1/2 the price that they once were.

Reply to
Leon

Will the granite slide under the mirror or be elevated and butt up against the mirror?

Reply to
Robatoy

Yep. Only real limitation is has is its cut depth. Plan on taking your time though--it's not a fast cutter.

Reply to
J. Clarke

You're going to be glad you did. It's one of those 'problem solver' tools that you don't grab to start a job but will probably have out before you're done on most of them.

Get the "top" kit--that gives you most of the accessories and a good set of blades at a good discount.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Heh!

HF blades are $5.99 each - and they throw in two scrapers! The scrapers can be turned into cutting blades quite easily. Simply take your rotary Dremel and cut as many 1/16" notches as you can on the business end.

Reply to
HeyBub

Try the Harbor Freight model first. It's about one-tenth the price of a Fein (walk-in-off-the-street $39.95).

Reply to
HeyBub

We're removing 1 1/2" of top and the granite is 3mm so theoretically, it's supposed to go under the mirror. I'm not the granite guy though so all I'm supposed to do is remove the old tops.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Maybe 3 cm?

Reply to
MikeWhy

Maybe it is some of that new fangled granite VENEER??

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Comes in rolls?

Reply to