How would you?

Page 1 of 3
I'm looking for any suggestions on a little project we have to do in a week or so. This project is basically removing old countertops on a bar so that they can be replaced with granite. The old tops are job site installed Formica on particle board over what are essentially kitchen cabinets. There is also a raised bar. Removing the raised bar is no problem but about 30' of the L shaped back bar has a mirror splash that we are supposed to try to save.
We've bid plenty of time for the project and have an understanding that we'll try to save the mirror but won't have to buy it if we can't.
Our initial plan is to take a sabre saw and saw out most of the top as close to the mirror as we can. Once we get that out, we'll try to use the sawzall to cut between the top and the 3/4" thick blocking that is attached to the cabinets. If the top comes off then we can remove the blocking.
How would you go about it? Any other...better ideas?
Thanks
Mike O.
A Fein Multimaster could get "reeeeeel" close.

Damn, Leon. You beat me by a minute with the Fein Multimaster suggestion!
Just picked up an older but excellent condition Fein 6" ROS from craigslist. Think I'm going to send it to my brother as a gift...
Leon wrote:

Agreed--this is one of those jobs where the Multimaster is in its element.

I was thinking about the Fein too.
I'm going to have to get the top out so the new tops can sit on the cabinets. If I go ahead and cut most of the top out, do you think the Fein will be man enough to cut through 30' of blocking and fasteners to separate the top?
Mike O.
"Mike O." wrote:

It will, but how about you<grin>?
When you buy it get the one with all the blades going in.
They really bite you in the rear for after market blade purchases.
Lew
Check under the cabinets for shims. Maybe removing them, if any, would help the situation.
Sonny

Fortunately those Fein blades have dropped in price with the competition undercutting their prices. IIRC the Fein 3-packs are about 1/2 the price that they once were.
Leon wrote:

Heh!
HF blades are $5.99 each - and they throw in two scrapers! The scrapers can be turned into cutting blades quite easily. Simply take your rotary Dremel and cut as many 1/16" notches as you can on the business end.
Mike O. wrote:

Yep. Only real limitation is has is its cut depth. Plan on taking your time though--it's not a fast cutter.

Is the mirror some etched/frosted thing or just regular mirror? Such attempts often go just fine until you get one little chip in the glass and the Owner insists on replacement - on your dime.
I think this is a job for - ta da! - the Fein Multimaster! I'd just cut the blocking free from the cabinet and remove the whole top- remnant.
On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 16:06:38 -0700 (PDT), RicodJour
Just regular 1/4" mirror but in big pieces as it goes 4' up the back wall.

We bid this for a General Contractor and we all agreed that we wouldn't be responsible for the mirror. My guess is that he covered his own butt in that regard with his price..

Since it's L shaped and has splash on the ends too, it has to come out in pieces. The Fein seems to be the general consensus so it looks like it's time to get one.
Mike O.

Will the granite slide under the mirror or be elevated and butt up against the mirror?
On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 20:28:05 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

We're removing 1 1/2" of top and the granite is 3mm so theoretically, it's supposed to go under the mirror. I'm not the granite guy though so all I'm supposed to do is remove the old tops.
Mike O.

Maybe 3 cm?

Maybe it is some of that new fangled granite VENEER??
On Jul 22, 10:46pm, "Lee Michaels"

Comes in rolls?
On Jul 22, 11:46pm, "Lee Michaels"

Hardly newfangled, Lee. Granite veneer has been around a long time. Usually mounted on a honey-comb aluminum back, super thin stone surfaces have been around for use in elevators, vertical surfaces, but it a bit thicker than 3 mm. 1/4" to 3/8" is quite common. Smarty pants.
You see, if you 'Murkans had joined the rest of the planet in going metric, you'd also have an extra Mars lander to play with and a better understanding of mm vs cm...:-)
Robatoy wrote:

I'm not sure - it may be because we didn't join the rest of the planet in going metric that we get to play with 'em on Mars. ;)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

If you had a better understanding of metric, you'd have an extra one to play with...that's what I meant..<G>