How to select Shaker museums

I inadvertently posted this to apbw, when I meant to post here.

------------------ I am planning a trip to the US in the northern summer and would like to visit two or three Shaker museums. The problem is that I see listings for

15 and I don't know how to pick the "best" ones.

Does anyone have particular favorites? Or better yet a web site or other resource that compares museums as to their quality, diversity/specialization, presentation, etc.

Extra points for a selection of two or three that are relatively near one another and that together give a broad spectrum overview of the design and construction of furniture.

My current principal interest is in casework rather than chairs, etc. but I have never seen a piece of Shaker furniture that was not interesting at some level.

Any help or pointers appreciated.

Larry Nelson, New Zealand

Reply to
Larry Spitz

Wed, Jan 2, 2008, 1:42pm (EST+18) From: snipped-for-privacy@docrec.com (Larry=A0Spitz) I inadvertently posted this to apbw, when I meant to post here.

------------------ I am planning a trip to the US in the northern summer and would like to visit two or three Shaker museums. The problem is that I see listings for 15 and I don't know how to pick the "best" ones.

Hmm, do you think it might help to tell people just where in the States you plan to visit? Details.

JOAT If you can read this you're in range.

Reply to
J T

These are all within about 50 miles of each other:

Hancock Shaker Village - Pittsfield, Massachusetts Tyringham Shaker Settlement Historic District - Tyringham, Massachusetts Enfield Shakers Historic District -- Enfield, Connecticut Mount Lebanon Shaker Society -- New Lebanon, New York Watervliet Shaker Historic District -- Albany, New York

Reply to
Nova

Been living in Enfield for 25 years and this is the first I've heard of that one. Will have to walk through and take some pictures next time the weather's good. But it's not exactly a "museum"--all the remaining buildings are supposedly private residences and not open to the public.

Reply to
J. Clarke

The one I saw was Canterbury, New Hampshire.

If you are in the area, the Rhode Island School of Design has a major collection of 18th century furniture. They have secretaries that are valued in the millions of dollars. The school is in Providence, Rhode Island.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

In my neck of the woods...

Hancock Shaker Village and the Shaker Museum And Library are close to each other and are wonderful...

many buildings and exhibits. The round stone barn is probably the best known.

if you like old woodworking machines this one has a wonderful collection

Mt Lebanon is right there too but is currently closed... the web site doesn't indicate when it will reopen. The Museum and Library has a lot of Mt Lebanon items.

\There are some other Shaker sites in the area too (Colonie NY) but they are smaller in size and scope.

of these sites are within an hour of each other and in some cases closer...

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Be sure to post if you do. I get to Enfield (to buy wood) on occasion and I've never seen it either.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I've been to this one. I think this was the first.

There are a lot of buildings still existing. One of the buildings is open furing the weekly craftfairs - they have a store, and a few specialized rooms/exhibits - like a room used to make brooms/besoms.

According to

can be arraigned if you have 10 people ($3 a person). I'm not sure if a $30 will let one person get a tour.

when they are open.

This fall they auctioned some wood stored in the barn for 80 years. The wood was planks - variety of woods and widths. Some were 10+ inches wide. Wish I had storage and money. (sniff).

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

The Enfield Shakers Historic District is in Enfield, New Hampshire, not Enfield, Connecticut.

I think the Hancock Shaker Village should be the cornerstone of any itinerary. Then it's just a matter of deciding how many other sites to visit and how much travel time between locations is desirable. One other place to consider, while not exclusively Shaker, is the Fruitlands Museum in Harvard, Massachusetts. Among other exhibits, it has a good Shaker collection.

Lee

Reply to
Lee Gordon

Link for the Enfield NH one is

The Hancock one is number one to visit.

Reply to
henry

The Enfield Historical Society, Inc.

1294 Enfield Street P.O. Box 586 Enfield, CT 06083 USA Phone (860) 745-1729

Nova

and has little to offer anyone interested in Shaker furnishings. Most of it is the state prison and the Lego warehouse now.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Hancock Shaker Village is my favorite.

My current principal interest is in casework rather than chairs

Hancock has a rich array of all aspects of their crafts.

Have a good trip.

Joel

Reply to
joeljcarver

"The Enfield, Connecticut Shaker settlement The Shakers are gone from Enfield, but their presence is still felt. Many items from the Enfield Shakers are displayed at the Old Town Hall, including boxes, clothes, furniture, and even a gravestone and horse-drawn hearse!"

The Old Town Hall Museum

1294 Enfield Street (Route 5) Enfield, CT USA

Nova

the year.

Why are you so determined to sell this? There are many towns that have had Shakers in residence. The OP wanted to know the _best_ and Enfield CT is not one of them.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I have lots of flexibility so it's more a question of where do I want to go to find the most attractive/interesting things to see. This trip is very much in the early planning stages.

Reply to
Larry Spitz

My guess is if you stay within 200-300 miles of the East coast shore line and North of Washington DC, you will hit at least 80% of the places you would want to visit.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Thu, Jan 3, 2008, 2:20pm (EST+18) snipped-for-privacy@docrec.com (Larry=A0Spitz) doth explaineth: I have lots of flexibility so it's more a question of where do I want to go to find the most attractive/interesting things to see. This trip is very much in the early planning stages.

Ah. In that case, best I can com up with is the Smithsonian museum, if you get to Washington, D.C. Not much shaker stuff (if any, been years since I've been there), but loads of other interesting stuff. Best time to visit is winter, less tourists. LOL Have fun.

JOAT You can't always judge by appearances, the early bird may have been up all night.

Reply to
J T

The main part of my woodworking club meets at this site each month. The wood auction was my club's annual wood auction... are you a member of NWA?

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

No - just the woodturners group.

Reply to