How to infuriate your wife: Lesson 1

Page 2 of 6
exactly. I can't understand the logic of maintaining separate accounts in a marriage.
If you go into business with a partner, do you keep separate books for each guy (if everything is on the up and up I mean)?
I just think if you keep separate account and books in a marriage, then you got something you want to hide. Pure and simple.
DexAZ wrote:

In rec.woodworking

Well, we had regular fights about money until we did that 15 years ago. Now we never fight about money. If she wants a dress or some girly thing and has the money, she buys it. I do the same. Everyone is happy. The only thing we discuss is debt because that affects both. We have both agreed to not take on any debt so if she buys something with a Visa, she better pay it at the end of the month.
It works for us.
Now I'll bet you just look down right silly in that dress....

ROFL!
--
Cheers
Nuno Souto
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Bruce) wrote:

Hmmm... one of my wife's best customers is named "Bruce". That wouldn't be *you*, would it??? -- Howard http://www.MyNewThreads.com <-- my wife's eBay site
In rec.woodworking

Hey, keep it quiet or I'll shop somewhere else Howard.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Bruce) wrote:

I'm glad I wasn't drinking coffee when I read that...
snipped-for-privacy@FreshCoffee.biz http://freshcoffee.opportunity.com http://freshjava.opportunity.com

I do.
Birthday and Christmas presents.
In rec.woodworking

You know, he's wrong anyway. My W has the password to my checking account and she even pays the bills out of it for me. There is nothing to hide.
Her account OTOH, I haven't seen in years and couldn't even tell you the balance. Maybe I better look into that LOL
"Mapdude" wrote in message

Sorry, mapdude, but it ain't always like you think got it pegged.
NO way in hell I'd ever be on a joint checking account with SWMBO, and I love her dearly!
I balance my checkbook(s) every time I log onto my accounts and know exactly how much money I have, to the penny, at ALL times. She, on the other hand, thinks that if she has checks she's rich, "dipsticks" her account about once every three or four years, or whenever she realizes that she has more overdraft protection charges than she thought.
Let me put it this way ... she has a safety net in life, ME! ... I don't.
I have separate accounts because I figure I owe it to her to be more precise in economic matter than she was originally built for ... doesn't have a damn thing to do with "hiding" anything!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/13/04
Swingman wrote:

I used to keep meticulous records of how much was in my checking and savings accounts but for the last 8 plus years haven't written a single entry into the check register. The only time I open my bank statement is at the end of the year to see how much interest I earned to claim it on my tax returns. I go to the bank every two weeks to deposit most of my paycheck and I look at the receipt to see that I have "X" amount to play with minus the $100.00 minimum to avoid a monthly charge. I know, I know. That's just not the way I am supposed to be doing that, I could be 'taken', etc, etc. but that's my way, for right now.
Comments?
"nunya" wrote in message

exactly
Yep. You likely have a more predictable income than I ... when you're self employed, keeping a vigilant watch on cash flow and financial issues is the key to making it work ... with all due thanks to computers and software, at least since 1978.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/13/04
|Swingman wrote: | |> |> I balance my checkbook(s) every time I log onto my accounts and know exactly |> how much money I have, to the penny, at ALL times. She, on the other hand, |> thinks that if she has checks she's rich, "dipsticks" her account about once |> every three or four years, or whenever she realizes that she has more |> overdraft protection charges than she thought. |> |> |> | | I used to keep meticulous records of how much was in my checking |and savings accounts but for the last 8 plus years haven't written a |single entry into the check register. The only time I open my bank |statement is at the end of the year to see how much interest I earned to |claim it on my tax returns. I go to the bank every two weeks to deposit |most of my paycheck and I look at the receipt to see that I have "X" |amount to play with minus the $100.00 minimum to avoid a monthly charge. | I know, I know. That's just not the way I am supposed to be doing |that, I could be 'taken', etc, etc. but that's my way, for right now. | | Comments?
Yes. I used to be pretty lax with finances. It cost me money. Now I reconcile every account to the penny every time a statement comes in. What I find is things like the occasion when SWMBO bought gas at the country store. The card reader at the pump wasn't working and she had to leave her credit card with the clerk and the clerk ran another $20 charge and pocketed the dough.
Or the time that First USA Bank was charging late fees when the payments weren't late. People who carry balances and don't watch this stuff are getting screwed. BTW, there was a class action lawsuit over this one. There were documentated cases of people making on-time payments by registered mail and still getting late fees.
What else is amazing is the number of times that we charge something and the charge never makes it on the statement. (No, I don't make it a point to notify them.) I keep up my books, if they fail to do so then they can pay like I used to.
SWMBO has her own checking account but when the statements come in I reconcile her account and tell her how much she has. She is one who likes "different pockets" for different things. Fine by me; she's been putting a bit away each month in a different account and when I mention new table saw, she offered up the dough. I got the Leigh video on the dovetail jig and she watched it with me. She asked, "Do you have one of those?"
I replied, "No they're too much money."
She asks, "How much?"
Me, "Four hundred bucks."
She, "Oh, that's not too bad, why don't you get one?"
Me, "Oh."
I still think they're too much money.

exactly
I use Quicken. Takes about two minutes to reconcile the statement. I've been using it for years now and find it simple and fast. It is hand to be able access your bank on line also. While I only use checks for the monthly bills, I use a debit card a lot and it makes it easy to peek if you think you forgot to note a transaction. Ed
|I use Quicken.
Me too.
|Takes about two minutes to reconcile the statement.
Unless you're looking for that 10 cent typo [g]
|I've |been using it for years now and find it simple and fast. It is hand to be |able access your bank on line also. While I only use checks for the monthly |bills, I use a debit card a lot and it makes it easy to peek if you think |you forgot to note a transaction.
I charge everything and get travel mileage, although the bastards (Capital One) just changed the terms which had the effect of lowering the rebate from 2% to 1%. GM Card screwed me too. As a GM retiree I get employee pricing on cars. The GM card "paid" 5% to be used against new car purchases. Last year they pulled the offer for employee purchases. Thus GM did not sell me a new Corvette or Silverado PU.
I essentially write one check a month to pay the credit card bill. Everything else is automatic.
Wes

I got the opposite circumstance. My wife is a CPA. Our exchance would go something like:
Me: Looky! <some toy> is only <$> at <location>
She: Why so much?
Me: But it regularly sells for over <$>!
She: So? Do you really need it? Is it something that you can make money with?
Me: Well, no, but...
She: Then if you really want it all that bad, use your personal allowance. That's what I let you have your $10/week for...
Me: <grumble> snipped-for-privacy@FreshCoffee.biz http://freshcoffee.opportunity.com http://freshjava.opportunity.com
Howard wrote:

The wife of a CPA told me it stands for "Cheapest Person Around." ;-)
-- Mark
I identify with you. My wife ran the books for several years early in the marrage. It was after a month in which we had to pay over $300 in bounced check charges that I took over the books and put them into Quicken.
We too are in the stage of our lives that the income is always more than the output from the accounts over the long haul (married 24 years). There is a more than ample reserve in the bank, etc. to handle month to month fluctuations in revenue. I don't need to balance the books. I just monitor the balance to the nearest $1000 and go about life.
Any large purchases are discussed in advance to make sure that,if needed, the proper funds are transfered at the correct time. Between the HD Bessey close out and PennState Industries, I just added $600 worth of clamps to the shop. It was my birthday this month!!!!
Now I do still keep meticulous records of where it all goes on the computer, but I don't even keep a written register anymore. I do monitor my statements every month to make sure something did not come out that was not suppposed to.
nunya wrote:

My wife and I have separate accounts to AVOID financially related arguments like, "you FORGOT to record a check again *&^%!". We've had separate accounts since day one. Works great. My first wife and I shared accounts and it was a PITA. Separate doesn't mean secret, it just means each account is managed by just ONE person. Truthful people don't have secrets to hide. Perhaps you aren't truthful, so you think everyone else has "something" to hide?? :)
dave
Mapdude wrote:

Mapdude wrote:

Not hardly 'pure and simple'.
I could state that a husband who insists on only joint accounts has control issues and believes he must have a hand in every aspect of his wives life because he feels she isn't to be trusted. Pure and simple.
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio