How to infuriate your wife: Lesson 1

Page 1 of 6
I've had my eye on a dust collector, jointer, and planer for quite some time, and all three went on sale recently. In the case of the planer there was also a rebate that expired until this past weekend. I was afraid if I didn't jump on these items they'd jack up the prices and I'd be out of luck. As it happened, all three were on significant backorders already. So I talked my wife into letting me order all three with the understanding that they wouldn't ship for quite a while (and hence we wouldn't be billed for quite a while), and that we could even cancel them if we decide we can't afford them.
Then yesterday I got word that the dust collector has already shipped. To top things off, today I got word that the planer will ship within the next week. Needless to say, my wife is not happy with me. My jointer order is hanging by a thread now. One misstep and she's going to pull the cord, though I'm assured by the distributor that they don't expect any until late March. Anyone care to offer some marital advice on how to handle this delicate situation?
I, for one, need no lessons and/or assistance to infuriate my wife. I'm quite capable of doing that all by myself. I am so good at it that I now able to do so without intending to or even knowing that I have.
Enjoy your new toys!
DexAZ

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comAntiSpam says...

you can build the same thing for less money and/or higher quality using your new toys. Might even push for another toy depending on how much she wants it.
says...

LOL. You guys are funny. Whipped and funny. Doesn't anyone here use separate accounts?

Nope, no need to. When I want something I buy it if I have the money. No one complains about it. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

became "partners" in life, love _and_ finances. Worked for us for 32 years...so far. We talk over new tool investments as well as what we spend on new furniture etc. May not work for others but it works for us.
DexAZ
DexAZ wrote:

Obviously not. You need to reestablish the natural order of things. Tell her to shut up and get you a beer.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com

-- Regards, Doug Miller
For a copy of my TrollFilter for NewsProxy/Nfilter, email me at filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com
Doug Miller wrote:

I am now.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 11:03:26 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

I did a job in a house where the parrot had learned to say just that. dismal place, unpleasant people.

-- Regards, Doug Miller
For a copy of my TrollFilter for NewsProxy/Nfilter, email me at filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com

You have to set priorities. Just a few weeks ago, I wanted a new router bit, but my wife needed to refill the prescription for her heart medications. Talk about tough choices.
In the end, I figured she makes me breakfast every morning so I got her the medication. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

Good call and shows much wisdom on your part. Same applies for doing the dishes, laundry, taking out the trash, mopping floors, etc. ... gotta take care of your SWMBO, a good one is expensive to replace.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/13/04
|"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message | |> You have to set priorities. Just a few weeks ago, I wanted a new router |> bit, but my wife needed to refill the prescription for her heart |> medications. Talk about tough choices.|> |> In the end, I figured she makes me breakfast every morning so I got her|the |> medication.| |Good call and shows much wisdom on your part. Same applies for doing the |dishes, laundry, taking out the trash, mopping floors, etc. ... gotta take |care of your SWMBO, a good one is expensive to replace.
Boy, you can say that again. Been there, done that.
You should have gotten some placebo sugar pills for your wifes heart problem, she would be happy and then you could have gotten the router bitt too, and both of you are happy!!!
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

On Sat 21 Feb 2004 09:32:37a, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in

SWMBO and I have only been at this for five or six years. We each have a separate savings and checking plus a "house" checking account so we can easily see how much we have for toys. I try to put all my tool purchases on my accounts but sometimes a deal is too good to pass up and she doesn't mind when I pull some of it out of the house money.
It's a joy to hear her say she feels comfortable with my tool purchases because it's easy to see I'm looking for the best deal I can find on tools that are justifiable, ie I'm not throwing money at crap or expensive stuff I'll hardly ever use. Given that I appear to have a case of arrested development and at 53 can say I'm probably not going to completely grow up, it's nice to have that validation. :-)
Especially when I'm about to spend three or four hundred on classes at Woodcraft between now and mid-May.
Only thing is, now that she knows about the Wreck, she wants a SWMBO t- shirt.
Dan
ok, 5 or 6 years at it and age of 53. Either this is not the first one or you are really a late bloomer.

Both.

Nahmie
Those who know the least will always know it the loudest.
Dan wrote:

Get her one of those SWMBO thongs. :)