how to cleaning off excess glue?

hi...
I was watching new yankee workshop the other day and Norm used a sponge with some liquid to clean off the excess glue after clamping. Is the liquid plain ole water or is it something else? Any suggestions to do this the best way?
thanks...
Ah10201 wrote:

If it's just plain old carpenter's glue then a wet (with water) rag does just fine.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
Holy water.......

No.... Holy glue-up batman !
Bob S. wrote:

I thought it was patented Norm Water? $10 for half a gallon :)
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com Over 50 woodworking product reviews online! ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 5 Reviews: - Veritas Power Tool Guide - Ryobi 6" Grinder/Stand Combo - Band Saw Handbook - GMC R1200 1/2" Router - LRH Magic Molder - Triton Router Review Update! ------------------------------------------------------------
This is just my opinion but let the glue dry then scrape it off. If you wipe it off with water then you leave a film of glue that will discolor your finish. YMMV Puff

This is just my opinion but let the glue dry then scrape it off. If you wipe it off with water then you leave a film of glue that will discolor your finish. YMMV Puff
-------->
That's what I found as well. A good card scraper works for me and its makes for easy work.
Actually, if you're close by, you can almost peel the leathery half-dried stuff off in big boogers after twenty minutes. Don't scrape too much, or you'll discover hollows when the surface dries.

On 05 Apr 2004 19:46:23 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Ah10201) wrote:

He uses a small sponge with most of the water squeezed out. This works well. But better yet, after you've done a few hundred glue-ups you get to know the right amount of glue to apply such that there is very little excess. Like the other posts, I like to peel off the excess glue after 30-40 minutes. If I'm building a fine piece of furniture, I prefer to line both sides of the joint with painter's tape which is done at the time of the dry fit assembly. Glue left on wood shows up like a sore thumb after the finish is applied.
There are a number of ways to accomplish the task but, yes, just plain old water is what is being used.
Don't be skimpy with the water and turn and or rinse the rag frequently in order to avoid smearing the glue rather than taking it off.
-- Mike G. snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net Heirloom Woods www.heirloom-woods.net

Yup... That has worked well for me for a long time.