How straight is straight?

Page 1 of 3
The Lee Valley/Veritas 24" steel straight edge is ground flat to within 0.001" over 24". Cost is $36.50. (Item # 05N62.01)
That seems like a steal (pardon the pun) when compared to the Starrett at 54.00 (Item # S-380-24) with 0.002" per foot. The #385-24 is $104! (I don't know the difference between it and the S-380-24.) I thought Starrett was impossible to beat??????
Is my data correct?
On 10 Jan 2005 18:18:22 -0800, "Never Enough Money"

Probably. I'm not sure if Starrett has read the writing on the wall or not, but they are going to lose market share if they don't become more price competitive. I'll buy American if it makes sense to do so. If it's a few percentage points more expensive for the same product, I'll give them a nod. But when extremely comparable alternatives are available at 1/2 the cost, it's hard for me to justify. It's a competitive world - and it should be.
JP
Starrett doesn't give a rip about some hobbiest in his home workshop. That is not the market that pays there bills. They are an industrial supplier.

After looking at the latest Woodworking Supply catalog, inside cover, with Starrett's new offerings, I'd respectfully offer they've changed their minds...
They've always had a line of tools for the woodworker. There market has always been professionals, mostly patternmakers and the like. Their main market though, is the metalworking industry. Always has been.

That
supplier.

Good to know. Just speculating *as you are* as to their current marketing strategy. [Unless you work in their marketing department.]
I'm speculating they too sense a "disturbance in the force" and are looking to grab some bucks from an expanding segment.

Comes from a long time dealing with the company and working with a couple of their toolmakers.

looking
Mine is from Snap On tools at .0002 $85 for the 2 footer I would say Starrett is out of line if the accuracy is .002.
Of course, the SnapOn stated accuracy is per 12in, where the Starrett and the LeeValley is TOTAL error over the entire length, but 0.0002 is pretty good even if only over a 12in run
John
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 06:23:26 -0600, "Knothead"

Maybe yes, maybe no. Where did you get the figure for the Starrett? I couldn't find an accuracy specification on Starrett's web site, and two thou per foot sounds a bit sloppy for a Starrett IMHO. Are you sure that isn't 0.0002" per foot?
Difference between the 380-24 and the 385-24, from Starrett's web site: "The No. 380 Series are not beveled or graduated. The No. 385 Series are beveled one edge, but not graduated. The No. 387 Series has one edge that is both beveled and graduated in 32nds of an inch."
I got the accuracy data from Amazon.

I don't see it there... can you be more specific?
See product description on any of the Starrett stright edges. For example: (Amazon.com product link shortened)05456983/sr=1-6/ref=sr_1_6/102-0787086-8824912?v=glance&s=hi

Gotcha. And quoted directly from that page: "Product Description Specifications: Edge straightness .0002" per foot."
That's point zero zero ZERO two. Two ten-thousandths per foot. Not two thousandths. The short answer to your initial question "Is my data correct?" is "No."
The long answer is that the $54 Starrett is within four ten-thousandths across two feet, and the $37 Lee Valley is within ten ten-thousandths. Sounds to me like the Starrett is the better deal, and by a long way: the LV tool is more than two-thirds the price of the Starret, but only forty percent as accurate.
Thankyou. I completely missed a zero.
On 11 Jan 2005 08:43:19 -0800, "Never Enough Money"
......and in reply I say!:

No need to thank him. Think nothing of it!

Starret is the best deal as far as dollar per accuracy, but that begs the question of "how accurate do you need?" Or, "How sharp is your crayon?"
The starrett is $108 for the 2' so the LV is 1/3 the price at 40% as accurate. Looks like the LV is the better deal (accuracies aside).

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:22:54 -0700, James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:

Plus, there's the price point. If one can afford $19, but not $50-something, $19 wins.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
vladimir a t mad scientist com

That's for the 385-24 (bevelled one side). The 380-24, as referenced in the original post in this thread (not bevelled, like the LV) is ~ $54.