How much is this worth?

recently, and I've seen several old cast-iron 14" bandsaws go for $250-400 (Walker-Turner, Rockwell, etc.) Hard to tell since we don't konw the brand, HP of the motor, condition of wheels/bearings, etc., but I would say it's definitely worth a close look at $150. Once you have a solid cast-iron frame, you can upgrade just about everything else if necessary. Get an Iturra Designs catalog and a Duginske book. Andy (Just a hobbyist and recent used-bandsaaw-buyer, not an expert, take my advice for what it's worth)

Reply to
Andy

Whatever someone will pay for it.

Reply to
CW

Thanks, that was a big help.

Next time, if you don't know, try just not saying anything.

Reply to
Locutus

Reply to
Teamcasa

So out of three replies only one has been serious. Is this alt.jokes or rec.woodworking???

Reply to
Jill

Thanks for the feedback. I am thinking it might be a Craftsman, as I saw one exactly like it at the goodwill a few months ago, though that one was non functional.

The seller is in my area, and I am about to buy a Ridgid 14". It seems that new Ridgid would be better, but this saw is half the price of the Ridgid.... I just don't know enough about bandsaws at this point to make an educated decision.

Reply to
Locutus

If I were in Cincinnati and wanted a bandsaw, I'd probably go for it. If I had to travel from Dayton, I wouldn't. I'd ask him to measure the wheel diameter first though - 14" and upward is good, 18" is snap-his-hand-off and under 14" is a walk-away.

Bandsaws are quite easy restoration problems, if you have basic metal-bashing skills. Bearings come from the bearing shop. Tensioners come from the bandsaw spring shop. Blades and guides are stock bandsaw parts, with a little hackign to fit the guides on. You _have_ read the Mark Duginske book, haven't you?

Reply to
dingbat

I do know and I answered your question. What more do you want?

Reply to
CW

who knows...) and it doesn't work, so the bearing could be shot. It could be a complete disaster, or it could just need a new switch.

Unless you enjoy working on machinery, I wouldn't pay more than $50 for it. It would take kind of bargain to make me want to monkey with it.

Reply to
Toller

For you to stop top posting!! :)

Reply to
Locutus

I'd be tempted to go take a look at it if you want a restoration project ... but you probably don't have a "gloat" just yet.

That said, it is "old iron", and you may enjoy resurrecting it at that price.

Reply to
Swingman

Not going to happen.

Reply to
CW

Swingman wrote: [schnippified for brevity.]

It would be a cool project.

So, what is the goal? Is it to use it as a tool or is the buyer going to chrome the thing and hang it of his mantle? ( I say this with only a part of my tongue in my cheek, 'cuz a buddy of mine has a MV Agusta hanging over his fireplace (it belonged to Mike Hailwood))

What do we want? A tool or an art piece? As a tool it sucks As an art piece.....well...

Robatoy

Robatoy wrote:

Good question, but after reading through the Iturra Designs catalog, I'm almost convinced that the old ones with good castings are at least the start of a superior tool compared to most of the 14" models on the market today. And true, if you want more resaw capacity, you should probably stay away from the 1-piece frame. I think the more important question is how soon do you want to use it, or how much work do you want to put into it? If you want to use the tool tomorrow and have it be in reasonably good shape right away, go with the Ridgid, plug it in, do some minor tracking adjustments, and go. With this or any older used one, it looks like you'll need a new switch and new blades, you could POTENTIALLY need a new spring, new tires, new v-belt, new guide blocks, new wheel bearings, a fence, a miter guage, etc..., and possibly even a new motor. Depending on how much of this stuff needs replacing, you might almost be getting close to the price of the Ridgid, but with these replacements/upgrades, I'd argue you'd probably have a better quality saw (again, depends on the maker and the quality of the castings, etc.). If I were in your position, I'd definitely go take a look at it, and try to figure out how much stuff needs replacing. If you don't feel comfortable refurbishing a large tool, or if you just don't want to bother with it, forget it and go with the Ridgid. Or see if you can wait for a sale price on the steel-frame Craftsman with 8" resaw capacity ($480 list)- I was considering that one also. Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

Reply to
marc rosen

new switch wouldn't be a problem, but I'm looking for a good tool that I can just use without much trouble. It sounds like this might be more than what I want to get into.

Reply to
Locutus

As of 2325 (0325Z) Friday night, it had been deleted by the author. I didn't even get to see it.

Reply to
LRod