How much dado? is enough?

Page 2 of 2
Drew Lawson wrote:

THAT's WHAT I've been saying, all along -- but writing to cross porpoises, I guess. I was writing rabbet when I meant and was thinking of the side dado, sorry.
dpb wrote: ...

Well, more correctly that was what I was _intending_ to say... :(

The strongest overall joint will be with a dado no more than 1/4" deep in 3/4" plywood. You want to leave plenty of thickness for the screw body and to not weaken the sides. In solid wood the strongest joint is even shallower, around 1/8", but you need to go at least 3/16" deep in plywood because of the thin plies.

1/4 to 1/3 thickness of the vertical board, or 1/4" max.
"Father Haskell" wrote:

About the same as: "Any thing more than a mouthful is a waste".
Lew

or a handful..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing