How Long Is Too Long To Wait?

Page 1 of 3
I bought a Unisaw from a local company at the woodworking show here a couple of weeks ago. Paid in full, etc. etc. Was told that I would be able to pick up my new saw the following week.
Well, now I'm on week two, no saw, but one helluva charge on my AMEX bill. Having never bought a cabinet saw, or any other piece of equipment of this magnitute (relatively speaking), am I just being too impatient or do I have a legitimate gripe here? Granted, I did get a decent deal, but is there really a two-week-plus back log on Unisaws? Maybe I'm just too used to going into a store, picking what I want and leaving with it. Just thought I'd check with the group before I get too bent out of shape.
Thanks, Rob

have
Not sure about the shipping policies of companies down in the US, but the companies I deal with up here in Canada invariably guarantee that a product isn't billed until it's shipped. If it's the same for people in the US, then you should call them and get a tracking code.
And if they give you a song and dance routine and NO confirmed shipping number, call AMX and contest the charge. AMX is VERY GOOD about being the customer's corner, and they WILL remove the charge will they investigate. Be sure and tell the vendor that if they jerk your chain, you will just go ahead and CANCEL the order
John

your response is a knee jerk response worthy of the typical "loose canon". Threats aren't welcome by anyone, be they an individual OR a company you hope to have an ongoing relationship with. the OP mentioned the company was local, so I'll go out on a limb and ASSUME he MIGHT want something from them in the future. Plus, if he threatens them, what kind of support will he get once the saw is delivered?? Think BEFORE you recommend such negative behavior, John.
dave
John Crea wrote:

Dave,
This thread is going nowhere, so you can delete my diatribe if you wish.
I agree with your point regarding delivery.
I disagree with regard to the charge to the card. The customer should never have to "be nice" when its their money and their credit on the line.
Sometimes a customer has to be a persistent pain in the butt. This is especially true for an equipment problem where you have to convince someone that you really do have a problem. I do not advocate this as a normal path. But it is definitely a valid step.
Unfortunately sales people are the worst in the world for setting realistic expectations when they are trying to close a sale.
Lastly, if a dealer varies their service to me, based on how nice I am to them, I'm definitely taking my business elsewhere. There's too many companies competing that want my business.
Bob

Rob: Patience, patience, good buddy. The charge on your card is legit, the wait is legit. Just keep reminding the store of your purchase.
Bob

couple
have

the
ARGH! It's hard to have patience when you go out to your shop and see your old contractors saw with a POS fence and know that somewhere out there is a shiny new Unisaur with a Bies fence with your name on it.
And believe me, I'm sure these folks will be more than relieved when the saw does come in...I'm sure they're tired of hearing from me. Granted, I've been polite, but I've been persistant.
Thanks for the reassurance, Rob

It's relatively normal. When they are out of stock, it can take a few weeks to get a new shipment of products in.
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 5 Reviews: - Veritas Shelf Drilling Jig - Ryobi CID1802V 18v Cordless Drill - Workshop Essentials Under $30 - Festool PS 300 Jigsaws - Delta Universal Tenoning Jig ------------------------------------------------------------
Relax. You will instantly forgive the company for any delays when you first use the saw. It is worth the wait. How long did you wait before you ordered it???

Too long...way too long. Before I learned the "buy it right the first time and only cry once" principle :)
Rob

the
<<snippage about ordering and then waiting for a new Unisaw>>
Bob...the wait might be legit, but the charge is not...not until they actually SHIP said saw.
I know of no company/dealer/reseller/etc. that charges to a card before item is shipped.
While I don't think the OP has a legit claim to cancel the order, I do believe that it would be legit to have AMEX withhold payment UNTIL such time as the saw ships. I would be interested to know if, when he was TOLD that it would be available the next week, if he got it in WRITING that he'd have in the next week. The seller did, in fact, enter into a verbal contract with that statement, but verbals are VERY hard to prove.
Just my $.03 (inflation, don't ya know)
Mike
Rob Walters wrote:

IMO, a company should _never_ charge your credit card before they ship the item. That's the way I run things in my office.
Someone owes you an explanation that includes firm dates.
Jim H
Have you dealt with the company before? Sometimes "stuff" happens and the best of intentions are waylaid. Contact the company and mention your concerns about the delay and premature billing.
dave
Jim Helfer wrote:

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 11:45:09 -0500, Jim Helfer

Could it be in transit? I don't think anyone's asked this. These things aren't often shipped next day air. <G>
Barry
I'm curious. You did not say you called them and asked. Did you? What did they say? If they gave you a one week promise, that would indicated its coming from local stock. What was the local company? I live in Houston. I deal with The Cutting Edge and my experience with them is that get jammed up sometimes scheduling local deliveries but never more than a day or two. If I call them, they do their best to meet my personal schedule.
I agree with the comment about American express. I've contested charges with them a number of times while I was working in Ireland and dealing with flaky rental car companies. You can contest on their website. My experience is that they put the charge in suspense right way (you don't have to pay) and it takes them 6-8 weeks to then followup. Most of the time I contested and 3-4 weeks later the rental car company got it straight and I just cancelled the issue.
I feel your anxiousness!
Bob

couple
have

did
up
with
flaky
cancelled
Yes, it is a local company that from what I read has a really good reputation both with folks who have dealt with them online and in person, which is why I didn't post their name...I don't want to falsely accuse them of trying to hose me, as I really don't think that is the case. And yes, I have called them, three times this week and twice the week before. I was told on Tuesday that their shipment was due in on Thursday as they had received a shipment of recondition equipment from Delta that should have arrived after the new stuff. I understand that things happen, shipments are delayed, etc, etc. FWIW, it was the sales person I spoke with who said the saw would be available the following week, and I know there are times (and no offense to any sales person reading this!) that the sales guy will tell you whatever it takes to get you to seal the deal.
Rob
Where I come from, whatever the salesman promises you to "seal the deal" _is_ the deal.
That said, your patience will be rewarded ... providing it doesn't drag on too long.
FWIW, on important items, and particularly those ordered for doing business, I make the delivery date a term of sale if I can reasonably do so.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/13/04

"In general", in the U.S. it is *illegal* to charge the credit-card before the product is _shipped_. or ready for pick-up.
You _should_ be bent-out-of_shape. the day the chard was charged, and they didn't have the product ready for you.
calm down, Robert! You'd think it was YOUR credit card that got billed! Why incite the OP to get hot under the collar unless the store was running a scam, which I DOUBT seriously.
dave