how high is your router table?

I just built a stand for a Veritas router table top. The idea is that this could be mounted on top of a wide range of custom built or ready made cabinet bases. I happened to have a portable two drawer metal file cabinet that a guy gave me. Its built like a tank made of 14 gauge sheet metal. I would guess it was manufactured in the 50's. Anyway I put my router stand on top as a "get by" measure. It seems kind of a neat size except its a bit tall. The top of the router table is now 44" high. This doesn't bother me except I think its taller than its "supposed to be".
What are your thoughts? The veritas factory setup shown at http://tinyurl.com/bry5g is 40" high. I am 5' 11" tall.
Bob
Most commercial units are 36" tall but whatever works baby.I like mine taller because I am. The only other consideration is working in conjunction with your other work surfaces, it's nice to have consistent heights.
Mine is custom, and it's 36". I vaguely recall standing in the basement with my arms out in front of me trying to figure out how high to make it, too. I'm 5'10".
http://www.delorie.com/wood/projects/router /
This one at 38": http://www.patwarner.com/router_table.html
44" does seem a little high, but if you are comfortable with it there why change? It is your shop.
RonB

My table is 48" AFF. but I'm 6' 7"

My thought is the "supposed to be" is whatever fits you. My router table is good at 36", but my first was a portable table on a desk. I'd guess the height to be close to that 44" you mention. For doing large work, I find it better to be a bit lower so I can apply more downward pressure, but for a lot of work the higher height is good.
I watched a demo by a guy making things like trivets, bookends and other small parts. He was at least 44" to table top.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Bob my table is 35" tall. I am 6' tall. I suggest not too high to make it hard to put cabinet door up there but tall enough that your back does not get sore. I have spent a couple of hours non stop at the table doing small pieces of Ipe.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

(hand held parallel to floor). I'm 6' 5 and my router table was deliberately set at 37", which works for me and matches the "rule" of table heights. A bench that is used for lots of heavy planing would be a bit lower than that. You don't want a bench so low that you are bending over a lot and you don't want it so high that you can't get good leverage with your arms while using hand tools.
Bottom line: if YOU like being 5' 11" at a 44" tall router table, then to hell with the general "rules". I'd be surprised if you find that height comfortable over the long haul, though.
Dave
On 20 Jul 2005 11:48:38 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Mine is 31", from sheer accident of building. It should probably be 33", to match my saw, planer and second bench.
On 20 Jul 2005 11:48:38 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I built the one out of FWW last year, it's 36" high and that's fine. But I think I would make it 37-38" if doing it again. It does not seem too critical.
Barry Lennox
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 23:57:31 +1200, Barry Lennox

==========================For "me" it would be a tad to high.... I have 3 router tables in my shop Plus another router set up in the outfeed table on my Table saw...
ALL 3 of the tables set 42 inches high and it suits my height (6'1) ANY my eyes just fine.... using the tablesaw mounter router gives me a royal pain in the back darn fast.....
Bob Griffiths

Mine is 35" tall. When you cut yours down, will you be selling the step ladder to access it? g
Make it the same height as your table saw, so you can use it as an infeed or outfeed table.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Good idea!
Bob