How do you minimize rust on your jointer or table saw?

Page 2 of 2
Living in New England with a very dry basement I have to use a dehumidifer. before I used it my wide plank floors above would cup and one interior door did not close smoothly. No rust on equipment and I dont use anything to protect. Dehumidifer doesnt turn on in late fall and winter spo I leave it plugged in.Cheaper than moving to the desert also.
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in Puckdropper

Good guess, Peoria actually. Indy's farther south than I realized, now that I look at a map. I'm probably short on the distance, too. I just wanted to point out that the same technique worked for someone else with relatively the same climate.
Puckdropper

<puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

Not a guess, really -- my son is a junior at Millikin U in Decatur, so I know exactly where that is: 150 miles directly west of Indianapolis. US 36 runs right through the center of each city, in pretty nearly a straight line. But yeah, I'm sure the climate is pretty much the same. I used to live in Springfield, and I think it's a little more humid there than in Indy, but not much.

I made up my own mix of waxes, somewhat harder than floor wax, and use a battery powered buffer--the extra carnauba wax makes it hard to buff out. I don't do one layer. I clean the top with mineral oil and steel wool (we should all have some #000 or #0000 around, right?). Dry carefully. Apply and lightly buff one heavy coat. Then three or four lighter coats, buffing each slightly more than the previous coat. The last coat takes on a near-chrome shine, and rust stays away, even here in central Virginia.
On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 16:44:44 GMT, "Dick Snyder"

I don't have any rust issues at all--probably due to the air-conditioned shop. But to prevent rust I wipe the undersides of machines with a rag dampened with kerosene. In some cases it will remove light rust.
I use a very thin coat of Preparation H.
The ointment, not the cream.
Back in my Navy days we used it to keep the salt air from attacking the cheap low bid tools they used to buy.
I have been using it for more than 30 years without a problem.
It does not gather dust, does not feel greasy and goes on very thin.

I just keep a good coat of paste wax on mine. Of course this is a low humidity area. The folks that come in from Colorado don't think so, but I moved here from the Gulf South. This is low humidity.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA