To minimize rust

on tools such as the table saw etc, has anyone tried this magnetic sheet = material? Any outstanding advantages over just throwing an old bedsheet = etc. over them?

--=20 SwampBug

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Reply to
SwampBug

SwampBug asks:

WHAT magnetic sheet material? The stuff that holds things on my refrigerator or what?

Why would you throw an old sheet over a saw table? It doesn't protect against anything but dust.

Charlie Self "Half of the American people have never read a newspaper. Half never voted for President. One hopes it is the same half." Gore Vidal

Reply to
Charlie Self

Flexible Magnetic sheet stuff can be purchased for around $4 sqft. At = around 20 0r 30 mils it would lay down nicely on the saw top and = virtually cut off air/moisture from the surface. Even and old sheet will = help in extremely humid conditions. . .with dust as well as rust.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

WHAT magnetic sheet material? The stuff that holds things on my = refrigerator or what?

Why would you throw an old sheet over a saw table? It doesn't protect = against anything but dust.

Charlie Self "Half of the American people have never read a newspaper. Half never = voted for President. One hopes it is the same half." Gore Vidal

Reply to
SwampBug

I think I'll stick with T9.

SwampBug did say:

30 mils it would lay down nicely on the saw top and virtually cut off air/moisture from the surface. Even and old sheet will help in extremely humid conditions. . .with dust as well as rust.
Reply to
WoodMangler

I prefer pastewax. . .and am still interested if anyone tried the = magnetics sheet.

--=20 SwampBug

- - - - - - - - - - - -

SwampBug did say:

around 20 0r 30 mils it would lay down nicely on the saw top and = virtually cut off air/moisture from the surface. Even and old sheet will = help in extremely humid conditions. . .with dust as well as rust.

SwampBug

I use thick polythene sheet. Stuck to the top surface are a number of cheap disk magnets, held down by squares of gaffer tape. Large lettering and corner marks show me which way round they fit, and whether I'm trying to cover the saw with the jointer's cover. Total cost about $0.25, because it's all recycled scrap.

I need polythene covers because of internal condensation from my cold roof in a damp workshop. In January it rains indoors, despite the dehumidifier.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I like Johnson's paste wax, but pretty much anything (cargo blanket, regular blanket, bed sheet, etc.) that _touches_ the iron surfaces will prevent condensation and rust. If it is floating over the table saw surface (for example, because the blade guard is in the way), then you'll still get condensation and rust. I would avoid using a plastic sheet because it will trap moisture and make the problem worse.

"SwampBug" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com... on tools such as the table saw etc, has anyone tried this magnetic sheet material? Any outstanding advantages over just throwing an old bedsheet etc. over them?

Reply to
AL

Any outstanding advantages over just throwing an old bedsheet etc. over them? I'll stick to my old paste wax... especially on the 2 with aluminum tables... damn magnets just keep sliding off of 'em for some reason...

Mac

Reply to
mac davis

LOL! I never thought of aluminum. . .prolly cause it don't rust.

--=20 SwampBug

- - - - - - - - - - - -

sheet material? Any outstanding advantages over just throwing an old = bedsheet etc. over them? I'll stick to my old paste wax... especially on the 2 with aluminum tables... damn magnets just keep sliding off of 'em for some reason...=20

Mac

Reply to
SwampBug

Depends on your definition of rust. Aluminum Oxide can leave a pretty nasty stain on your wood...

TWS

Reply to
TWS

they don't rust, but as TWS mentioned, it comes with it's own set of problems... especially that black that appears only on expensive pieces of wood if you don't keep a good coat of wax on the table..

Mac

Reply to
mac davis

rust is iron oxide, opinions notwithstanding.

Reply to
bridger

"The formation of reddish-brown ferric oxides on iron by low-temperature = oxidation in the presence of water" Hence aluminum does not rust. Maybe someone should invent an 'aluminum = magnet'.

--=20 SwampBug

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Depends on your definition of rust. Aluminum Oxide can leave a pretty=20 nasty stain on your wood...

TWS

Reply to
SwampBug

I have a 12" disc sander from HF with an aluminum table. . .I'll have to = consider that.

--=20 SwampBug

- - - - - - - - - - - -

they don't rust, but as TWS mentioned, it comes with it's own set of problems... especially that black that appears only on expensive pieces of wood if you don't keep a good coat of wax on the table..

Mac

Reply to
SwampBug

in the presence of water"

we have one in the neighborhood... old dude that lives on the block and recycles for extra income... about the time you're half way through a beer, he somehow knows and is standing nearby like a friggin vulture.. lol

Mac

Reply to
mac davis

Aluminum doesn't rust, but it does oxidize, and that is comparable to "rust".

Reply to
ToolMiser

my car doesn't run on diesel, but it does use gasoline, and that is comparable to "diesel".....

you can't just unilaterally go redefining aluminum oxide as rust.

Reply to
bridger

You can in a woodworking group. Get over it...

Anyway - don't tomato (?) plants get rust too.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

no.... they get aluminum oxide.

Reply to
bridger

I think so.. is that the same as the "ring rust" that boxers get?

Mac

Reply to
mac davis