How do you minimize rust on your jointer or table saw?

How do you either prevent or minimize rust on the machined cast iron surfaces of your jointer, table saw, etc? I have tried Butcher's wax with sort of OK results. Is there a better way?

TIA

Dick Snyder

Reply to
Dick Snyder

"Dick Snyder" wrote

TopCote:

Swingman

Boeshield or Bostik Top Cote

Reply to
J. Clarke

Personally, I just make sure I live in the desert...

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

I've found that rubbing them with wood gets rid of it.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

I've found that rubbing them with wood gets rid of it.

John Martin

:-)

Reply to
Dick Snyder

The most important thing you can do is use daily. Second to that wax them. Any old candle will do.

I also have some cheap moving blankets I got at HF that I use to cover the table tops I toss them over the tables when they are not covered with other stuff. I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not, but I sleep better knowing my tools are comfortable.

Mark

Reply to
DejaVoodoo

>> --

Thanks. I just ordered some from Rockler as they have free shipping right now.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Snyder

"Dick Snyder" wrote

You'll find it to be just what you're looking for. It works very well here on the Gulf Coast, which speaks volumes for it's rust protection.

Reply to
Swingman

The most important thing you can do is use daily. Second to that wax them. Any old candle will do.

I also have some cheap moving blankets I got at HF that I use to cover the table tops I toss them over the tables when they are not covered with other stuff. I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not, but I sleep better knowing my tools are comfortable.

If you use a heating pad they will be much more comfortable.

Seriously though, I would think if the blankets aren't breathable, they will trap in moisture thus hindering the actual intentions of their use.

Reply to
SBH

Or you could simply move here where the ambient humidity seldom gets over 25%. I have a humidifier that keeps the inside at that number. I do get tired of feeling like a potato chip however. ;-/ jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

I use Johnson's Paste Wax and a dehumidifier in the shop, which works very well for me in Indianapolis. If you're in Houston, Seattle, or Miami, for example, it may not work so well for you -- but I'm guessing that if you've had "sort of OK results" with wax alone, that wax and a dehumidifier would probably do the trick.

The dehumidifier's a good idea anyway, if your shop is in a significantly more humid location (outdoors, or in a basement) than the living areas of your house. Assuming, that is, that you use the shop primarily for making things that eventually wind up in the living areas of the house.

Reply to
Doug Miller

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:Qg7Mk.3384$ snipped-for-privacy@flpi148.ffdc.sbc.com:

*snip*

I too use Johnson's Paste Wax. So far, so good. There's only two things allowed on top of my saw: Wax and Wood. That helps tremendously in keeping the saw top in good condition.

The saw does not get rolled out into the driveway if I'm trying to beat the weather on a project. I had just a few rain drops hit the top and it caused oranging immediately.

I'm almost directly west of Doug, about 150 miles.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I made up my own mix of waxes, somewhat harder than floor wax, and use a battery powered buffer--the extra carnauba wax makes it hard to buff out. I don't do one layer. I clean the top with mineral oil and steel wool (we should all have some #000 or #0000 around, right?). Dry carefully. Apply and lightly buff one heavy coat. Then three or four lighter coats, buffing each slightly more than the previous coat. The last coat takes on a near-chrome shine, and rust stays away, even here in central Virginia.

Reply to
Charlie Self

What is topcoat anyway?

WWers are frugal -- surely there is an alternative that's pennies per use..

>> --

Reply to
Kevin

Sounds like you're in or near Decatur.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I don't have any rust issues at all--probably due to the air-conditioned shop. But to prevent rust I wipe the undersides of machines with a rag dampened with kerosene. In some cases it will remove light rust.

Reply to
Phisherman

Living in New England with a very dry basement I have to use a dehumidifer. before I used it my wide plank floors above would cup and one interior door did not close smoothly. No rust on equipment and I dont use anything to protect. Dehumidifer doesnt turn on in late fall and winter spo I leave it plugged in.Cheaper than moving to the desert also.

Reply to
henry

I use a very thin coat of Preparation H.

The ointment, not the cream.

Back in my Navy days we used it to keep the salt air from attacking the cheap low bid tools they used to buy.

I have been using it for more than 30 years without a problem.

It does not gather dust, does not feel greasy and goes on very thin.

Reply to
Jay R

Uhhh.... have had my $9 can of Topcote for 10 years. Still got a lot in the can. Table saw, jointer, band saw, planer. All rust free in a basement. Southern WI.

Prolly is pennies per use.

D'ohBoy

Reply to
D'ohBoy