How Do You Know When to Replace Sandpaper?

Page 1 of 2
How do you know when to replace the sandpaper on an orbital sander?
Otoe

After about 6-10 minutes tops.

Would that be Norton 3X, Leon?
--
Dave in Houston

No, he did mention any particular sand paper. I have yet to use the 3X stuff, I'd like to find it in PSA.
RE: Subject
If you have to ask, "practices extreme frugality" is a phrase that comes to mind to describe you.
Lew

I don't recall anyone asking for a description; if you go OT, then say so in order that others may more easily ignore you until you at least recall your own origins.

Tight shorts?

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 22:29:01 -0600, "Leon"

Right now, the sandpaper is changed only when the hook and loop doesn't hold anymore. But seems to me that the paper wore out long before that. I haven't gotten to the point where is catches fire yet which is a sure hint.
Otoe

Sand paper will generally work for pretty long periods however after a point it looses its aggressiveness and begins to take much longer to accomplish the same thing. IMHO paper is cheap compared to my time. The more often I change it, the faster the job gets done.

When it gets that hot, either change it or turn it over, you're probably not using the side with sand on it..
(No, I'm not really feeding a troll)
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Only AFTER you turn it off. I made that mistake once. -ouch.
--
www.garagewoodworks.com

The operative word is "when?" Not how, I figured that out after using up all the bandaids.
Otoe
"Otoe" wrote

42 ... and 1/2
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

longer cuts the way I want it to or the "sand" is rubbed off the paper which ever comes first.

Depends. And everyone has their own ways to decide when to change it. Some will only last ten minutes or so, some longer, some less. Brand, material, backing all make a difference. Best to use a search engine and do some research. If it's in good shape I'll often keep a few used sheets or each grit. A used 100 for instance can sub for a 150 in a pinch, a 60 for an 80, and so on. Never skimp on the final sanding grit though.

Depends. And everyone has their own ways to decide when to change it. Some will only last ten minutes or so, some longer, some less. Brand, material, backing all make a difference. Best to use a search engine and do some research. If it's in good shape I'll often keep a few used sheets or each grit. A used 100 for instance can sub for a 150 in a pinch, a 60 for an 80, and so on. Never skimp on the final sanding grit though.
--
I do the same thing.
Use it until it just stops working.

I tend to use sand paper for a long time... So I guess that's why I never need to go 120 - 180 - 220, the paper just wears down gradually for me! (Well, I also use primarily pine...)
Puckdropper
marching band.
On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 16:31:15 GMT, "Twayne"

Thanks for the advice on the final sanding.
Is this a trick question? Roger