Wood held stationary - bit spinning - drill spinning - person running for their life!
I keep a 1/2 forstner bit - with the 15 degree angle in the shank - hanging on the front of my drill press. Only want to have that 'learning experience' ONCE.
charlie b
On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 15:16:06 -0800, charlie b opined:

Yes, indeed. I keep a piece of piston rod in my toolbox. It was jammed in the radiator. Remember Alien? Like that.
--
"Keep your ass behind you"
wreck20051219 at spambob.net
Looks to me like you can do it all with: 1) drill press with a rosette cutter (and some sort of saw to get the square blocks with the rosettes in them for the corners) 2) router with a router table
Take a look at a site like www.highlandhardware.com and/or www.woodworker.com to find the rosette cutter...that'll be the hardest thing to find. You should be able to get everything else locally.

The corner blocks with the circles can be done with a special bit, similar to a forstner bit and a drill press. The bits are called rosette cutters
The "carving" can be done using a router with templates and a "V: shaped router bit. Summerfeld's Tools for Wood has something they call their "3D Router Carver System" Go to their web site www.sommerfeldtools.com and check out the "RCS-Bit - their special router bit templates (the template catalog numbers are RCS-302 through RCS-806. With a router and just their special bit, you can make your own templates.
hope this helps you along.
charlie b