How do I install a new motor in my Jet stationary table saw

You can probably tell by my subject line I'm new at this table saw business, but since I had the motor rebuilt, and now have to put it into the unit, I can't figure out how this darn heavy thing will be installed. I didn't take it out or had it rebuild, it was delivered to my house and now I'm stuck. I also probably have to exchange the 3 belts that are wrapped around the arbor. Can I use the new type of belt, the ones that look like they are pieces hooked together. This is a 3 hp 1 phase motor, this thing got to weigh 80 lbs. Any help is appreciated...Pete

I did this before several years back, first off I would stick with the regular belts. IIRC I held the motor as best as I could and hung it by it's pulley on the belts, raised the end closest to me and dropped in the bolts through the mounting frame.

That's a great idea, I will try it. Is there a reason you mentioned staying with the regular belts. Did you hear anything negative?
pete wrote: ...

AFAIK, there's no such thing as a matched set for the link belts. W/ a multi-belt set, the belts should be matched for length precisely (more than just random off-the-shelf lengths) are or they won't pull evenly leading to poor performance.
I hear folks claim they can eliminate vibration on contractor saws, etc., w/ single-belt by using link belts but ime the problem is the saw (or more often, the pulley(s)), not the belt. I think they're one of the ideas looking for a solution more than anything else, personally, but others' opinions obviously vary.

That's a great idea, I will try it. Is there a reason you mentioned staying with the regular belts. Did you hear anything negative?
I have heard that some people have used link belts on a 3 belt cabinet saw however IMHO they are not going to be equal in length until they get broken in. As you have noticed the cabinet saw motor/belts are not a treat to adjust and I feel that you would probably be under there making adjustments as the belts took their final length several times. Most cabinet saws come with either a serpentine belt are a "automotive" quality set of belts as opposed to the industrial belts that the smaller saws come with. These automotive style belts are designed to be better balanced and to run at higher rpm's than the industrial style belts.
Thank you for the info, I'm beginning to think that I will buy 3 identical Automotive type belts. Just the thought of taken the arbor apart, so I can change the belts is also a scary project. Why does the manufacturer always make it so difficult to change. Same darn thing as on my metal lathe, there I'm going to go for the other belts, "feller" I guess they call them. Several people told me that it turned out ok for a one belt setup. Again I appreciate all the messages coming in....Peter

pmaston wrote:

Not the right answer. You want (and need) a matched set of three. There _IS_ a difference...
> ... Just the thought of taken the arbor > apart, so I can change the belts is also a scary project. ...
I don't know any particular Jet saw, but I'd seriously doubt it requires or is intended by Jet to take the arbor apart to change belts.
Check for an owner's manual on the Jet web site; it'll have instructions for the specific model. If can't find it, contact Jet directly.

Peter
A belt rep once showed me something intetesting about belts. They all have a "mold mark". So to get tree identical ones after you select the size make sure thay have the same mold mark. The mold mark will be a number or letter combination molded into the belt.
Also belts can be measured under tension. Then the belts with the same measurement under tension becaome somewhat matched. If I recall the ACE where I go uses a 40 pound weight in the belt measurement gage. Not really high tech but far better than going by the belt size measuring gage that most use.
You might have to measure more than 10 to get three that are close.
Bob AZ
Bob AZ wrote: ...

Or just buy a matched set...

dpb
I have never seen matched sets of three but I will look next time. Are you aware of any places?
Bob AZ
Bob AZ wrote:

Gates or any other make matched sets. It's also likely the OEM has them listed as a part. That may be a little more expensive, of course.
A discussion of multi-drive belts...
http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure 2&location_idU9
A (random) specific belt of the V80 series that will be within the tolerance if order 3 of same part number (w/o trying to match by hand)...
http://www.gatespowerpro.com/Comergent/en/US/adirect/gates?cmd tProductDetail
If you have an existing belt, there are cross-references from alternate manufacturers of, of course, you can go back to the same manufacturer if not Gates.
Again, Jet undoubtedly has them as a part as well.
dpb wrote: ...

More precisely, they select and stock individual production units to build matched sets through process and inventory control...
Of course, this is essentially the old process of marking individual belts w/ a code and then searching through the supply on hand to find matching codes to make up the set automated. Sliced bread, if you will...
pmaston wrote:

Pete:
Below is the URL for WMH Tool Group. They are the distributor/manufacturer of JET and Wilton.
Their business address is: WMH Tool Group              2420 Vantage Drive              Elgin, IL 60123              1-800-274-6848
Look on the body of your saw for the model number and s/n. If you can't find the manual on line they say to call them. You can get all the details from them.
Good Luck
Dave Nagel