How could this happen to my poor planer?

check out the pic's. man this really suck rocks.

Steve Knight

Wow, izzat blood?? Oh, yeah, you're the exotic wood plane guy! Does suck, man. And not in a good way. Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

Had a less serious but similar thing with my 580 The blades were getting dull and I had just a couple more passes to go. All of a sudden, it was noisy as hell and cut a concave area in the board. Pissed me off as it was the last of the maple stock I had. Blade was bent but the retainer was OK.

Now I keep an extra set of blades on hand and vow never again to tray to get that last pass or two when I know they are getting dull. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

do you sometimes push it hard for long periods?

I suspect that the blades are engineered to transfer some heat through the cutterhead for cooling. if you pushed it hard enough to heat up the blades and the blade warped up a little, sawdust could get in there and the blade would lose contact and heat up faster, so the gap would grow as the sawdust packed in and the blade heated.

or maybe that's not how it happened.

so how come you don't have a full size planer?

Reply to
bridger

If you have bottom rollers on that planer, I'd check to see if they are adjusted properly. Looks like the wood you were planing (paduak?) caught on someting as it was feeding through. Possibly the chipbreaker if that planer has one.

Was it a long or short piece?

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

no not really at most I may run 30 passes through but the boards are usually no more then 3" wide and 24" long. usually I do less at a time.

I work with small pieces of wood. I can run 6" long pieces through this. plus I could not afford it. I seldom run anything over 36" long and 3" wide through it.

Reply to
Steve Knight

I think it happened over time not all at once.

Reply to
Steve Knight