Why does this happen?

Back around 2002, I painted a bedroom with a water-based eggshell enamel. At the bottom of one wall, where the wall meets the trim, something is leaching out and running down the trim. It is water soluble, I can wipe it away. See the link below for the image. Anyone know why this happens?

AE Todd

Water leak.

Reply to
Pat

On 2/27/2011 3:01 PM AE Todd spake thus:

Hmm, interesting. (strokes chin meditatively)

In order for something to run down the trim like that, there has to be water about. The question you really want to answer is, where is that water coming from? Condensation on the walls? A leak inside the wall? Plumbing? Roof?

Find the source of the water and that'll point you to the solution of your problem. Probably doesn't matter *what* is leaching out ...

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Ive seen this in a house made of concrete block...fill dirt had been brought into the yard and the soil level was actually above the concrete slab floor by about 6 inches on one end of the house.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

That's a choice, depending where room is. Water from foundation, leaky pipe or leaky roof should cover all the bases. OTOH, I had water in a powder room once and it turned out to be from a leaky water bottle in pantry behind the powder room.

Reply to
Frank

Your link sucks. I displays the picture and then jumps to a fake virus scanning deal.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Resinous stuff can separate from water-based paint - have seen it only once, on exterior painted stucco/cb. This occurred only two places on a large building and seemed to seep out quite slowly, in small amount. I researched it at the time, and can't recall any particular cause.

Reply to
norminn

It also happened to me. I had to shut down the computer to stop it.

Reply to
Marilyn & Bob

I have to wipe my bathroom down often. Tobacco can do it or other contaminants.

greg

Reply to
zek

snipped-for-privacy@k15g2000prk.googlegroups.com...

You might want to check your PC for a redirect exploit. Both my linux and Windows PCs go to that page and stay there with no sign of a fake scanner.

Reply to
Teredo

Looks like condensation and maybe tar from tobacco smoke or stuff from cooking.

Reply to
A. Baum

My garage made of block is backfilled about half way up the wall on one side, it's cut into a hillside. Only got water once, and that was before the backfill was sloped away from the block wall. A little tar on the block and a proper french drain seems to take care of everything.

I did think of an idea after it was done, I think it may solve a lot of water problems. First install the french drain, covered with a foot of stone. Now for the tricky part, set pieces of plywood in the middle of the ditch between the wall and the ground. Switching back and forth add stone behind the plywood and backfill on the other side. Lift the plywood as you go. The end result would be only stone touching the block wall until the top foot or so. Any water that comes toward the block wall will drain down through the stone all the way down to the french drain were it drains away.

Reply to
Tony Miklos