Houston under water.

Page 3 of 3
On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 19:17:29 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

I remember doing that with drum brakes. The fade got pretty scary.

;-)
On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 19:17:29 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

off the fanbelt and go slow. Leave the belt on, and you were GUARANTEED to flood out too fast and the front would rise on the bow wave and you were off the side and into the ditch.
On Thursday, April 21, 2016 at 10:53:59 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I can hear kids everywhere asking "What's a fan belt? Why didn't you just pull the fuse?"
I used to keep a pair of vice-grips under the seat of my 66 lay-down Rambler. If I accelerated too hard while turning, the motor would shift causing the fan to hit the shroud. The tips would bend over and contact the radiator causing a hell of a racket. I'd have to pull over and bend the tips back.
I still miss that car. You seem to miss your first love the most.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/23/c9/64/23c9644d8fb1efe05428da7c974b16fe.jpg

That flexibility must have been an AMC thing. My buddy's 360 AMX would flex the chassis under hard acceleration too, altho in his case it tended to break the transmission rather than simply bend the fan (oddly, as far as I know his 390 AMX did not flex, even tho it had quite a bit more power).
John
On Friday, April 22, 2016 at 6:41:14 PM UTC-4, John McCoy wrote:

There was a lot of AMC "things". ;-)
Actually, I'm pretty sure mine was a motor mount issue.
Some AMC cars ran the wipers with the vacuum. They used a vacuum booster set-up on top of the fuel pump to increase the vacuum under acceleration. My booster pump started leaking so I bypassed it and hooked the lines to/from the pump together. So what if the wipers stopped when you were accelerating onto a highway? Lift your foot, get a wipe, put your foot back down. Repeat as required.