Homemade Disk Sander

Anyone ever made their own disk sander? A free-standing one I mean. What size Motor? What speed?
Dave Hill wrote:

Yes.
Check Fred Bingham's book for details.
Lew
I've been seriously considering building one for a while - I have an extra motor, which I think is 1/2hp. I've been looking at the plans at http://benchnotes.com/DISK%20SANDER%20/Disk_Sander.html which seem pretty thorough. They suggest at least a 1/4hp motor, at 1750rpm. I'm trying to figure out how to best use a miter guide or posts or something so I can smooth out and make fine adjustments to miters, and also how hard it would be to make the table tilt. I'd love to see any other links or pictures of shop-made disc sanders - anyone? Hope the link helps some, Andy

Almost anyone with a spare electric motor.

Whatever you've got. It's usually made with an induction motor, not a brushed universal, so you're stuck with 1400 rpm.
Easiest way to make the sanding disk is to find an aluminium V belt pulley that fits the motor shaft, then drill that for bolts and use it to support a 10" plywood disk. 10" is a useful size, much better than the tiny disks on the cheap belt sanders, and you can buy ready-cut disks to fit it. As always with power sanding, use the best abrasives you can find - they work better, last better and cost less. Try the coated blue Hermes stuff from CSM Just Abrasives. http://www.abrasivesplus.com Big disks also have less proportional variation in linear speed with radius, so they're less likely to sand a wedge.
You also need a toolrest. This can be made with a simple plywood & biscuit box. Make one that's fixed at 90 and it will do nearly everything you need. If you need an angle, make another one. There are only a couple of angles you're ever likely to need.
Make a simple dust extract fitting too. If you really need this thing, then you need it enough to need dust extraction.
If you have steel welding kit then you can make it small and neat. Otherwise make it out of 3/4" ply and bulky, but still stable.
Andy Dingley wrote:

Snip Yep made one just about identical. Once I'd fitted the disk to the pulley, pulley to the shaft turned on the contraption and used an old chisel to cut the outside of the disk round. No wobble or shake. Made it using a washing machine motor about 20 yr ago and still use it. I use shearers sharpening disks at 80g in place of paper. They last forever and you can do metal as well as wood on them. Regards John
ShopNotes had a good looking one. Look up their back issues. I've always wanted to make one.
J.
Dave Hill wrote:

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 21:20:01 -0500, John wrote:

Issue 12 if that helps...
Cheers,
Andy
--