Holly wood

Page 2 of 2

If you have trouble finding holly, a nice piece of #1 hard maple would probably do you just about as well.
Tom Dacon
I had a large holly cut off at 10' by the power company one year - this was on the west coast in a redwood forest land. I went down with my saw and got what was left. Got the rest as well later.
I turned the holly green - it was winter and almost dry as it was.
The grain was very beautiful - almost blond and tan - but stringy in texture. I made a desk set for my wife and a pencil and clip holder for myself. Turns nice. Holds form.
Have a small one in front of me on top of my desk - now 10 years later.
Martin
Jay Pique wrote:

The largest Holly Trees I have ever seen grow in south Maryland... along the Chesapeake Bay. Some were well over 40 feet tall with trunks big enough for making some saw timber. That area used to have a lot of builders of wooden boats.
Axel