Info request and gloat

Hi all, Long time reader, 2nd time poster.

Last Saturday while out doing a food drive with my 2 cub scout sons, I saw a "free" sign and some items next to it, as I got closer, there it was. A Rockwell/Homecraft 4" jointer and an electric motor.

Photos are posted at:

anyone have an idea where can I find a manual for this machine? The jointer bearings need some work, possibly replacement. Any idea of the age? The motor works great.

thanks in advance.

Craig

Reply to
Calvin

Try here first.

O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Here's the closest I could find at OWWM.

parts diagram shows a little different casting but the picture on the first page shows the same lower casting as is on yours. Although this from the South Africa division, my guess is they are the same or very close.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

It looks a lot like my National jointer.

Manual here:

HTH.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Must be a gazillion of these jointers out there.

Make sure the sheave on the jointer is steel, NOT die cast.

Die cast will rattle and need replacement with in a short time.

Uses 1/8 x 4 cutter knives.

Cutter head should operate around 4,000 RPM.

Select sheave ratio accordingly.

Have fun, it is a neat bench top unit.

Am totally clueless about a manual, but there isn't much to the tool.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Nice looking free tool. I'm jealous!

So you suck!

But, I'm left wondering why you didn't move the camera a little more to the right on that last photo; the one at Playa Grande.

Ah well!

-Nathan

Reply to
nhurst

Mike, Dave and Lew,

Thanks for the info. I now have a starting place to get this think up to speed and joint some wood.

Craig

Reply to
Calvin

Gotta love the Dominican Republic :-)

Reply to
Calvin

Looks like a close cousin to a Craftsman machine I got in a garage sale about 20 or more years ago. It was on a home-made wooden stand and the motor was mounted on a simple, but effective, hinged platform with a screw/wingnut arrangement for belt tension adjustment. Previously used by a trim carpenter. The main difference was, as I recall, it had small handcranks instead of the knobs for adjustment. It was a pretty good little machine that served me well until I got my Powermatic. If my brain had been attached I would have kept it or passed it on to our son. I have lost track of part numbers but you might try the Sears site. In the 60's, and before, Craftsman was a fairly respected brand in woodworking machinery.

YEAH -- What he said!!

RonB

Reply to
rnrbrogan

Anyone have any ideas on how to remove the bearings from the cutter head? They need to be serviced or replaced. Thanks.

Reply to
Calvin

You need an arbor press and the knowledge that goes with it.

Time to find a machine shop.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Not the answer I was looking for, but thank you for all the great info.

Reply to
Calvin

Find the right machine shop and a decent 12 pack after hours should make a good barter.

Just curious, why do you think the bearings need replacement?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

They do not spin freely, seem, to hop or stutter. I guess I am assuming that they are supposed to spin freely. The cutter head does not spin freely at all.

Reply to
Calvin

Don't know anything about that model jointer, but if the bearings are on a shaft integral with the cutterhead, won't a set of gear or bearing pullers work to pull them off the shafts? A cheap set like these worked quite well to pull the bearings on my Jet 6" jointer.

Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Additionally, a deep socket sized to bear on the inner race of the replacement bearings and a dead blow mallet worked fine to seat the replacement bearings on the shaft.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Just to put things in perspective, Harbor Freight sells a Chinese knock off 1 ton arbor press for $50.

A 12 pack of "Little Greenies", the pride of Holland, will go a long way toward getting this job done on a barter basis.

You will need a couple of double sealed ball bearings, probably basic

203, available from any bearing supply house.

They can probably can also point you to toward a machine shop who can help you.

Good luck.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to