Hinges Needed

I plan to build a cash box, bills only, using 1/4" plywood. I would like to hinge the lid and put some kind of latch on the front. What would anyone recommend? Security is not an issue as it can probably be busted open with a good shot from a fist. Thanks for any and all help.

Reply to
trvlnmny

trvlnmny wrote in news:adb81ec0-3b8f-4e6b-9d9a- snipped-for-privacy@k10g2000yqa.googlegroups.com:

Your local hardware store will probably have the small hinges you need. You may have to allow a little extra space at the top for the hardware to attach, which is simply done by extending the sides down a little bit.

(It's a common thing on small boxes like this. The bottom side is 90% of the height, while the top gets the other 10%.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I don't follow what you're trying to do. What's the point out of making a cash box with cheap materials that anyone can easily open? Why not just buy a metal cash box? They're cheap enough and they make them in fake wood grain. ;)

If you want to make something nice, I'd use some stouter stuff than

1/4" ply. A cash box is small and the little bit of extra weight would be by no means a deal breaker. How were you planning to attach the sides and bottom using 1/4" ply? Brads and edge gluing? I'd think the thing would break under just normal daily use.

Provide some more background, please.

RicodJour

the sides and bottom using 1/4" ply? Brads and edge gluing? I'd think the thing would break under just normal daily use.

---------------------------- Isn't that why box joints exist?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I'm making no assumptions on this one.

RicodJour

If you can make decent box joints in 1/4 inch construction-grade plywood you're a better man than I.

Reply to
J. Clarke

You might consider a glued on leather strip as a hinge. I've used magnets to hold lids.

Reply to
DanG