Hinges for Rehanging Kitchen Cabinet Doors

Hello
I am repainting my kitchen cabinets. The cabinets are solid wood. They are original cabinets for 1955 ( when the house was built)
I took all the doors off the cabinets along with the hinges.
I need to purchase new hinges. Should I go with the traditional old style hinges that are not adjustable? Or should I purchase the hidden adjustable types? Do they make retrofit hinges that will work in my application?
The Cabinet boxes are 3/4" thick.
Thanks
Hello
I am repainting my kitchen cabinets. The cabinets are solid wood. They are original cabinets for 1955 ( when the house was built)
I took all the doors off the cabinets along with the hinges.
I need to purchase new hinges. Should I go with the traditional old style hinges that are not adjustable? Or should I purchase the hidden adjustable types? Do they make retrofit hinges that will work in my application?
The Cabinet boxes are 3/4" thick.
Another question, if I do use the traditional fixed hinges should I mount them about 1/4 " above or below the original hinge, what I am gettign at is that I don't want to use the same screw holes for the hinges. This being said I will need to fill the existing holes on the cabinet boexes and make new holes 1/4 " above or below the exisitng holes? What should I use to fill the holes? Wood Putty?
Thanks
Thanks
In dropped this bit of wisdom:

If you are moving the hinges because the screw hole have become enlarged such that the screws no longer hold, just fill the holes with glue and toothpicks and re-use the same old hinges with the same old screws in the same old holes.
If you are replacing the hinges because you no longer like them (worn out their usefullness) or swmbo wants a new look, same advice. If the hole pattern of the new hinges does not match the old pattern, predrill the holes for the screws. Most likely, the new hinges will cover the old screw holes.
If you are going all out and installing Euro style hinges, use wood putty and restain.
P D Q

What style of hinges were used initially? Where do they mount to the doors and the cabinet carcass--are they surface mounted on the front, or screwed into the sides of the doors/frames, or into the back?
From your description, I'm kind of guessing it's a simple butt or offset hinge mounted on the front of the door and the frame, and so immediately visible. You might be able to find a different hinge design that's a bit bigger and covers the old holes while letting you use new holes. Alternately, it might be possible to mount the hinges using machine screws and nuts (or t-nuts), keeping the same hole locations--obviously, this would be easier to do on the doors than on the cabinet frames.
I've been working on some cabinets with the hinges attached from the back, and my solution to stripped holes (in the doors) has been to carefully drill a relatively large hole inwards from the edge of the door sideways through the stripped-out holes and then gluing in a piece of dowel to hold the screws. In my case, the hinges are offset and will cover the end of the dowel.
--
Andrew Erickson

------
Agreeeee
One of my engineer from China did have the same solutions in fixing these holes.even we from China.

awesome how could this cabinet last so long time. from 1955
impossible.
"Chinaren" wrote

"Made in USA" back then meant something ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

...I'd go with Euro hinges, they make face-frame mounts that are super easy to locate and adjust...biggest problem is drilling them out, but there are lots of jigs that do a good job, or if you have a drill press it's another no sweat situation. This way you get a very clean look, adjustability is way easy, and you get to fill those ugly holes and cover them with paint so you'll never have to look at them again!
cg