Cleaning Wood Kitchen Cabinet Doors

I own a rental property that has stained wood kitchen cabinet doors without knobs; they have coved recesses on the edges to serve as finger-pulls. After years of use, grime and oils from hands is showing. I'm not sure what type of wood it is and the finish appears to be okay. I want to clean these doors as well as possible without the need to refinish. I have considered that after I clean them, I might find damage to the finish, but for now, all I want to do is clean them.

Years ago, I used with reasonable success Formby's=AE Deep Cleansing Build-Up Remover

or whatever it was called at that time.

Is there a better product available today?

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
RosemontCrest

Better? Don't know, I always use paint thinner or naptha.

Reply to
dadiOH

Greased Lightning!

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I use mineral spirits on wood furniture and cabinets...good for removing wax and grease, and have never seen it damage wood finish. Test on inconspicuous area first.

Reply to
norminn

Murphy's Oil Soap made in a solution of warm water and an old terrycloth towel or facecloth will clean all of the grim off your dirty kitchen cabinets without damaging the finish...

Using something else like thinner, etc. or a harsh chemical cleaner could soften the finish and you would be rubbing the dirty INTO the finish as you try to clean it...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

I've cleaned cabinets with TSP (Trisodium phospate (sp)). It's a deep degreaser. You just need to change the water frequently if the cabinets are really dirty. I think I bought it at Ace Hardware.

Rob

Reply to
rlz

I would first try a mild grease cutting detergent such as "Dawn" dishsoap mixed with warm water. If that didn't work my next choice would be VM&P Naphtha.

Naphtha is often used to clean guitars but be careful to use VM&P naphtha and not the high flash naphtha that is used as a retarder and sold by many paint stores.

As always, TEST IN AN INCONSPICUOUS PLACE FIRST.

Reply to
Nova

Vinegar?

I use it on our kitchen cabinets' doors and the interior doors of the house to remove grease marks.

Reply to
Clot

One issue to mention is that it seems old, hard cooking grease on wood cabinets will soften some finishes and removing the grease removes the softened finish. Don't know any way around that, but m.s. works very well on fine finishes (not already damaged).

Reply to
norminn

I thank everyone who provided constructive replies.

Brian

Reply to
RosemontCrest