HF returns

Here's what I posted on Yelp:
Return policy precludes returns after 90 days. I purchased a whetstone grinder a few years ago and finally got around to opening it yesterday. Turn out the arbor is of insufficient length to support the grinding wheel. HF refused to take it back for either a refund or store credit. This is the second power tool I've purchased from them that was faulty. And the manager's attitude indicated he couldn't care less if I ever shopped there again. And I won't. Yes, the prices are good ... but in this life you tend to get what you pay for.
So ... I paid $67 for it on sale, reg $109. Put it on the shelf unopened. Opened it last night and found that the arbor was too short to accept both the wheel (which had a small chip on the edge) and the washer and nut. Not good. It does have a leather-like honing wheel, so I guess I'll just keep it for that.
Grrrr,
Larry
On 3/14/2012 12:58 PM, Z3Driver wrote:

So _NOW_ you're bitching? Come on, now... :(

Ya ... the retrospectascope reveals that I should have checked it out when purchased, but they still should make an accommodation for a fatally flawed product. It' s not like I'm trying to return something used.
Z3Driver wrote:

> It's not like I'm trying to return something used.
It's not like you returned it the next day, next week, or within 90 days either. You didn't give them an opportunity to get their money back from their supplier. I trust the manager you spoke with did not enjoy being unable to accommodate you. Did you show him or her any understanding?

a few years ago? how many is a few? 2? 3? 4? and this is somehow HF fault? can't say I blame them for not wanting you as a customer.
On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 10:58:05 -0700 (PDT), Z3Driver

I sometimes buy HF stuff when it's on sale, but anything I buy there gets at least a visual check of the box contents before being shelved for future use.
Electrical items get a plugged-in operational check (air compressor allowed to run until pressure switch shuts it off, etc).
The 45 Watt Solar Panel kit (purchased on sale at $149 last fall) got a full checkout on the driveway as soon as I got it home, although it won't be mounted for use until early summer.
Well, I can't blame them. You waited years to open it. It's on you. Not them.
On 3/14/2012 1:58 PM, Z3Driver wrote:

On Wednesday, March 14, 2012 1:58:05 PM UTC-4, Z3Driver wrote:

Sounds to me like you are putting something on bassackwards fella.
RP
On 3/14/12 12:58 PM, Z3Driver wrote:

What part of "90 days" did you not understand?
--

-MIKE-

On 3/14/2012 12:58 PM, Z3Driver wrote:

Well, it looks like the vote is a gazillion to one and my position is on the short side. I believe -- but I'm at that age where recollection is imperfect -- that when I bought this puppy there was no 90 day return policy.
At the risk of embarrassing myself further, when I brought it home I decided to see if I could make some lemonade out of this lemon. I did a bit of tweaking and it is now functional.
So, with some egg on my face I leave you to go out to the shop to see if I can put a nice edge on some gouges.
On 3/14/2012 12:58 PM, Z3Driver wrote:

You are blaming them for something you should have done, insured that you got what you paid for. Apparently you had $67 that was burning a hole in your pocket at the time, you bought something that you did not need.
On 3/15/2012 8:45 AM, Leon wrote:

In today's marketing environment, a couple of years may be a couple of model years. Yes a grinder seems to be something that will not change, but for marketing reasons the equipment is tweaked with different logos, different addons, gimmicks etc. After several year, the item you purchased may not have even been in their computers. You can not blame the store for not taking a Model T even if it is unused when they are selling Model A's
tiredofspam wrote:

Um, you could make a big fuss and ultimately prevail. Under contract law there is an implied warrant of merchantibility which states the seller guarantees the item is fit for the purpose for which it is intended.
This warranty is, of course, tempered by reasonable conditions, such as a time limit, abuse, and so forth. Plus, as with most contracts, this condition can be over-ridden by specific disclaimers to the contrary ("as is, where is").