HF Gloat

Best deal I ever got at Harbor Freight last saturday. I parked on the side by the warehouse door and dumpster. Going in I noticed a lot of pallets and thought I'd look them over when I left. I asked a guy about them and he said I could have one or two pallets only because they sell them but he said I could have all of this other pile I wanted.
What it was, were the odd shaped pallets that air compressors and other heavy items like that were bolted to, not a traditional pallet. I took 4 of them, each one consisting of 2-3 pieces of 4/4 alder 8" wide x about 36" long, some thicker but narrower of the same stuff, but the prize was:
each one had 2 main ribs of 36" of solid red oak 4x4. It is good looking wood too.
My wife was all embarrassed by me digging in the "trash" but I explained to her that I netted about $50 worth of wood and using one of the oak pieces, I can make her cool bandsaw candle holders I've been wanting to do.
True adventurer!

side
36"
Bruce wrote:

Hmmm, the store by me has a sign in front "Free pallets around back". They give them all away.
"Grandpa" <jsdebooATcomcast.net> wrote in message

he
Pallets are a commodity all to themselves. I have some that I buy, others that I give away, others that I can't get rid of. If you have 48 x 40 4 way entry pallets, people will pay anywhere from 50 to $5 for them. Odd sizes are tough to get rid of. Truck drivers from some companies are paid a "bounty" for certain sizes if they bring them back to the plant.
In this case, I'm sure the store manager just h as not been able to sell them for good old USA CASH or he would not be giving them away. Next case, used drums. Fiber, plastic, and metal also have a value under the right circumstances. Ed
Most of the signs that have "free pallets" are the odd ball ones that cannot be disposed of easily. Ed
I parked on the side

How could you tell the difference?

EASY! the warehouse opens on the side, and the dumpster on the top.
P.S. the warehouse is usually -larger-.
At the University I went to, "way back when", the computer center rated _two_ dumpsters all it's own. No big deal, until the day somebody graffiti'd them. "GI" on the left one, and "GO" on the right one.
I wonder how many folks "got" that one...?
wrote:

graffiti'd
In rec.woodworking

I didn't see it, but I get it. Then again, I'm a software engineer.

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 04:43:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Bruce) wrote:

I got it, and I'm not a software engineer. I don't even play one on the internet.

SNIP
I assume only you computer geeks ;)
I work in a metals shop and run a laser. We get our steel on pallets 8-10' long with oak runners that are 4x4 red oak. We get them all the time. I take what I need but most of them I throw away...I know I will get more in a day or two.....Some are made from oak, pine , poplar, sycamore ,and one had wood I am not sure of...Brian
In rec.woodworking

You could take those 4x4s and rip them into 4 1x4s and sell them on ebay or locally or whatever. Next time you're in the borg, price some red oak.