HF dust collector switch problem

Page 1 of 3
On topic! I've had a Dust Collector from HF for a long time, complete with Wynn canister filter and homemade "cyclone" garbage can precollector. I turn it off with a Shop Fox, D3038 remote. Lately there have been increasing problems with turning the DC on and off, and today, the DC stopped working altogether. One problem is that the switch on the DC motor is now "loose". It doesn't toggle on and off anymore. Note that the switch has hardly ever been used to turn the DC on or off. Would I have damaged the switch with the Shop Fox D3038 remote or with my previous system with relay and microswitches on the dustgates?
Has anyone had any similar problem? I am going to order a replacement switch from HF, and hope that I will be able to fix this ...
All comments on this problem will be appreciated!!
--
Best regards
Han
On 8/25/2012 1:55 PM, Han wrote:

Absolutely not!

You might consider ordering a universal remote control for total control and bypassing the switch on the DC altogether. Have the motor plug directly into the remote.

Thanks! I didn't think so either ...

The Shop Fox is I think pretty universal. It has an outlet that is governed by it, so I could open the switch and bypass it altogether? I like that idea.
Another question: There seems to be a large capacitor or so on the motor. Do I run a risk opening the switch, even if I have had it unplugged for a few hours?
--
Best regards
Han

You don't want to open the switch. You want to *short* it. ;-)

As long as you unplug the unit first, no. ;-) There is no energy stored (for any time) in that capacitor. It's too small to do any damage, anyway.

Thanks, more in another reply, pls, Keith
--
Best regards
Han
On 8/25/2012 2:58 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Correct! "Cut" it on, LOL

But to be on the safe side, take a picture of "yourself" before making changes, another picture of yourself after making changes, post on line for us to valuate. You may not be using good judgement after the modification!. :~O

Too late for that. I have the pictures of what I did, though they are of terrible quality. With regard to myself, I am finally, finally getting noticeably better from my whooping cough. Still need cough medicine every 4 hrs, almost 4 weeks after antibiotics.
--
Best regards
Han

Wow, bummer. It may be an indication of the extent of damage the coughing has caused to your lungs. REST, Han!
(From http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002528/ )
"Cough mixtures, expectorants, and suppressants are usually not helpful and should NOT be used."
-- The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold. -- Glenn Doman

Well, at the advice of my doctor, I do use cough medicine - expectorent/cough suppressant guanefesin/dextromethorphan, as well as menthol cough drops. They help because my lungs are/were full of slime that made me get "paroxysmal" coughing fits. The expectorant especially helps get the stuff loose. But I'm going to see a pulmonologist next week to get a better opinion.
One thing the link points out is that everyone should get a "The Tdap vaccine should be given around age 11 or 12, and every 10 years thereafter." <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004586/ It says it is for adults 19 to 64. I've had tetanus shots at least every 10 years, but apparently not Tdap. As soon as I am really healthy I'm going to get it. NOTE: There are many different strains of pertussis. The "normal" immunity one gets is against a surface antigen on the bacterium that mutates like flu. The vaccine is against an intracellular componenet that is essential for all pertussis. But it wears off after 10 yearsa.
--
Best regards
Han

Good idea.

Jeeze, I haven't had any innoculations in at least 30 years, I don't think. I had the full set(s) as a kid, but none since my teen years that I can remember.
I got a flu shot once and got a bad case of the flu from it, so I don't do that any more. <sigh>
-- The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold. -- Glenn Doman

You're not supposed to take the flu shot if you have even a little cold. Larry, I think you want to talk to your doctor about booster shots. Since I am retired, I can afford to be sick for more than 2 months with whooping cough, though I'd rather not. As a selfemployed person, you may not like to be less than 50% (or even less) for such a length of time. If you start panting after climbing 1 set of stairs ...
--
Best regards
Han

I wasn't sick -before- the bloody shot.

Yeah, I hear that. But the idiots in charge are using lots of live-virus shots nowadays and the side effects are tremendously numerous. I think it's a crap shoot either way. <sigh> Sites like this http://www.relfe.com/vaccine.html give me pause. Do some research on the polio vaccine and see if you can tell me that you believe in it 100% afterward.
-- The human brain is unique in that it is the only container of which it can be said that the more you put into it, the more it will hold. -- Glenn Doman
On 8/27/2012 9:16 AM, Larry Jaques wrote: ...

Whatever the site says or the research shows vaccination's a heckuva a lot better than not...I'm old enough I recall at least three grade school friends who weren't so lucky as to have gotten it (the Salk vaccine) in time and a young lady in an iron lung who got there at age 17 for the rest of her life...
There wouldn't be the recent outbreak of whooping cough if it weren't for the yuppies who aren't old enough to remember what things were like before widespread vaccination. :(
If it were only their kids they put at risk I'd say it's good Darwinism but it's the rest of the population as well.

Everything has side effects. Diphteria, Tetanus and Pertussis are bacteria, so there is no talk about live virus. Virus =/= bacterium. I believe that D and T are derived from the capsule/cell wall, but the pertussis is "acellular" (the "a" in Tdap). I asked whether anyone had experience with the shot of this triple combo on FB, and 1 lady answered. She felt flu-like for less than a day (got the shot in the morning, took off from work by noon, was better the next day). No one else reported anything (to me).
The current upswing in especially socalled childhood diseases such as whooping cough, measles, mumps and rubella is a direct result of people refusing to have their children vaccinated. For an epidemic to occur, there has to be a population of susceptible patients. 1 person susceptible does not give rise to an epidemic, "just" someone who gets sick. But when 10% of people (don't know the required minimum, maybe just 2 or 5%) are susceptible, it only takes one arrival with the disease to make an epidemic. Larry, you living by yourself on a far away mountain are safe. Me living near a crowded area, not so much. Not that far away from here are communities who think (perhaps like you) that vaccination is abhorrent. So we regularly have outbreaks of preventable diseases. It's inexcusable, and I feel horrible to have exposed people whom I love to the risk. My son got antibiotics and it made his gout flare up. Hopefully it weighs against getting sick for 2 or 3 months.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

When I lived in Mexico, just about everybody wound up with a cold and a cough in the winter. All the farmacias had a cough tablet that really stopped coughing. Fast. Graneodin (gra-nay-o-DEEN) was the name, they contained benzocine. I have no idea if they are legal in the US but if you have any latin population you might check at a farmacia latina.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

found this: <http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/334996.html Somewhere in there it says "active ingredient - Benzocaine", so I think you only missed an "a" <grin>.
That is an anesthetic, so the throat doesn't hurt anymore. I don't think it treats the cause (sometimes that doesn't matter, as when you have a virus, because you have to kill that by your immune mechanisms - there are few really effective antiviral medications). In my case,it is the mucus that the pertussis (bacterial) infection has caused. For some reason the mucus generation persists long after you or your antibiotics have killed the pertussis.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

Yeah, the damned keys keep moving and/or disappearing :)

Right, they don't cure, just remove an effect (hurting) and symptom or response (coughing). And they are very good at that. Moreover, that in itself is useful when you are hacking so much that your throat and/or chest feels raw and sore. I always pick up a bunch to bring home when I am in Mexico even though I rarely get colds in the US.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

The first few years in the US were pretty good. Then whatever makes me allergic caught up with me (hayfever type stuff). Here in Fair Lawn, I am lucky. I found out that the Swiss Pork Store also has "katjesdrop", a kind of Dutch/German licorice, which is very soothing and liquefying. A 3 min bicycle ride away.
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

I had hay fever badly when I was young & in Indiana (40s & 50s). I solved it by moving to Hawaii :) Later, to Mexico and finally, Florida. Never had a problem in any of them.
When I did have it, the best thing I found was Parke Davis cough tablets. They too were flavored with anise and had - IIRC - chloroform in them. Not sure how they got around the volatility of it and it has been banned for decades but it worked well. Graneodin is better though.
--

dadiOH

A 3 min ride -when- you can breathe? 25 minutes now?
And speaking of Swiss comfort, have you tried Ricola cough drops? I like 'em, but I don't have pertussis. http://www.ricola.com/en-us