HF Dust collector??

Page 2 of 3
I purchased my HF unit about a year ago, and it is clearly marked as a 20 amp motor. I couldn't believe it. It certainly sounds and sucks like a 20 amp as well. I don't believe that they mean peak amps either. I've never seen a motor marked as such. I've even wondered if mine was a mistake i.e. they mounted the wrong motor!! I too have been very pleased with mine. I've filled the bag up multiple times, and the motor continues to purr. I recommend this unit to anyone who will listen to me drone on.

I bought on on Friday night last week for the internet price of $149.99 at the local store. It is quite heavy, ended up sliding it onto my mechanics creeper to move it around in the box.
Yesterday I ordered the Wynn cartridge conversion after reading Bill Pentz's site, I figured I would spend $40 getting new bags at least, and the filter kit with plastic catch bags and the cartridge was about $103.00. Being in the diesal truck industry, I appreciate how well those big canisters work.
Wynn indicated I could just blow it out with compressed air from the outside in, so I expect the cartridge to last me a LONG time.
I've got conflicting information on the size of the HF dust inlets. Wynn says if I take the Y off I get a single 5" line. I see JET has a 6" and 4" adapter available for their 2hp unit, and I suspect I could attach that to the harbor freight impeller section.
Also considering moving the motor off the bottom of the cart onto a small chest of drawers and giving the motor to bags hose a straight shot. Perhaps reducing it from square to round right at the bags instead of right out of the impellar housing.
Hope to get rid of ALL the dust in my garage shop. Trying to figure out how to move the jointer to be closer to the orientation of the hoses. don't want to have to step over them!
Alan
Alan W wrote:

Alan,
Thanks for the nice write-up. Which cartridge fitler did you buy? Please let us know how hard it was to adapt to the dust collector. I'm thinking of doing exactly what you have in mind.
-Peter

I suspect HF is overrated and does not have the same capacity as the Jet, even though they both claim 2hp. One rough comparison is to look at impeller size. I believe the Jet 2hp uses a 12 inch impeller.
Bob

impeller
I would rate the HF unit at 1-1/2 HP, more closely relates to Jets 1-1/2 HP unit, the DC1100A which Amazon has for $330! Is the Jet better? Probably! Is it worth over twice the price? I don't believe so. At least not for the hobby wood dorker. You can get the HF unit for $159 pretty much any time. Plus the often run coupons for $10 on puchaces over $100 to get the out the door price to $149. Better bags can be had cheap enough so it is still a good deal. Greg
On 2 Nov 2004 18:35:44 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (Alan W) wrote:
I'll have to wait until I can afford to get one, look at it, then re-read your post... (I print a lot of this NG out) I got lost on the cartridge conversion and quit reading somewhere around taking the Y off and the 4" and 6" inch thing... like trying to understand someone talking about a car when you've never seen one..
I was noticing tonight that almost an hour after sanding a couple of boards with the palm sander, I could see dust in the air when my wife came in the driveway with the lights on... HAS to be bad for me, breathing in that crap every evening..

(Alan W)

Unfortunately, the dust collector will do very little to help that (I have yet to see a palm sander connected to a dust collector). What you need for the fine floating dust is a dust filtration unit. Lots of old posts on this and the argument between those who recommend buying a commercial unit and those who (like me) built theirs from a furnace blower and some good filters. So now not only are you hearing about a car without seeing one, we've thrown in motorcycles ;)
Dave Hall
Hello,
Here's another link that has some more info on the subject. I'm trying to learn about this as well. As far as actually breathing in the dust goes, I think that I'd be wearing a dust mask.
http://www.cleanshopair.com /
Peter.
(Alan W)

On 3 Nov 2004 08:27:45 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@nhsd.k2.pa.us (David Hall) wrote:

I actually understand that one and agree, Dave... I'll probably copy Ken Vaughn's system, as it seems very efficient and looks like the construction is within my skill level..
I had forgotten the a dust collector doesn't filter dust unless it's fed into it... I might need the filter system more than the DC!
snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (Alan W) wrote in message

While it sounds like this unit will pick up the big stuff, I doubt it'll get the really fine dust. The stuff that will clog up your lungs. If you really want to get ALL of the dust as you say, check out this site for some info:
http://billpentz.com//woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm
Cheers, cc
On 3 Nov 2004 05:39:51 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@attglobal.net (James Cubby Culbertson) wrote:

Thanks... Very interesting site! my education continues... *g*

Like the fine dust produced from sanding? Which you probably will not be able to make use of your dust collector while doing?! If you want to get all the fine dust it takes quite a commitment, connect all your tools, overarm collector for your tablesaw, downdraft sanding table, and on and on! Way out of range for most hobbyists! Greg

I'm also building a sanding table that I got from Ken's site... Every bit of dust I prevent helps...
snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (Alan W) wrote in message
The dust collector is assembled and awaiting the cartridge. I am going to try 5" line from the single port on the impellar housing initially.
I took the housing apart tonight and measured the actual diameter of the impellar to be 10", photo here:
http://alan.firebin.net/image/hf_dust_impellar.jpg
Jet is supposed to be 11", but short of measuring one. The cavity in the housing would certainly take a larger impellar.
Alan
snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (Alan W) wrote in

404 Error on that link, and iterations of the URL:

missed the s on images when I typed it in:
http://alan.firebin.net/images/hf_dust_impellar.jpg
On 5 Nov 2004 22:58:58 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (Alan W) wrote:

Wow! beefier than I expected at that price... but I've never seen or priced one before, either...
You're not even going to try it as it comes from HF, so you can see the improvement with the adapter and cartridge?

Nope, those 30 micron bags give me the jeebies. I still have quite a bit of work to do even after I get the cartridge and assemble it onto the DC. My local hose supplier was out of 5" DC hose and had none on order. There was another local source.
Since I have moved my jointer and the tablesaw to be in a T arrangement, the amount of hose I need is quite a bit less. Going to figure out how to run some line down to my router insert on the tablesaw without having it all over the floor, or ugly ugly up on the ceiling.
Alan

ok, now you've got me worried (again) I started this post and was surprised at how many people in the wreck use the HF collector... now, it seems that a lot of folks are saying that it needs a better bag??

Seems so, but I run mone with the bags it came with. I use mine to keep the shop clean, collect chips from my TS, planer, and jointer. I have a air filter to get the "dust". Greg