Herman Miller furniture

Page 2 of 2

Those are cows. You appear to be working in a Far Side cartoon. Don't let the dark glasses and the Ben & Jerry's T-shirts fool you.

I have just been hit by said cow-orker, who tells me he is not, in fact, a cow. He's from Iowa, so he would know, I guess. Maybe he's a pear.
Dave "About to get hit again, I bet" Hinz

Maybe the potato-shaped Unix guy is from Idaho ?

How did you know I was a Unix guy? (hm...) Ah yes, we've met in another context. Funny how that works. But yeah, he's more pear (read: potoato shape plus settling).
Andy Dingley wrote:

For size anyway. Plenty of other adjustments though.

That's kind of what pushed me off center to get an Aeron--I had had an Ergon that I bought used--it was actually a composite of an Ergon seat and the base off another brand that the store had put together. The stand finally went bust and I went through three Staples chairs before deciding that I'd already spent enough on crap chairs to pay for an Aeron and if I was going to pay for another I might as well be sitting in it.
One place I did some computer work I sat in a particular chair that seemed familiar. Tipped it up and sure enough it was a genuine Ergon among all the cheap junk. I told the person who normally sat in it what she had--she was kind of surprised to know that she was sitting in a better chair than the CEO.
--
--John
Dave Hinz wrote:

Ahhh... A "blanket party"? <g>
-- Mark

Naah, psychological means are more effective, and don't get one fired.
Dave "Er, so I've heard, that is" Hinz

One of the things I like most about that piece (the one on my website) is that it will be fairly easy to make something compatible - a little 16-ply Baltic Birch, a little thumbing through McMaster-Carr for the metal parts, and I'll borrow my buddy's box joint jig. And get rid of those black formica scraps in the shop.
On 18 Nov 2004 00:42:01 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (BUB 209) wrote:

They make the Eames Chair. http://www.themagazine.info/products/-/150.html
My Dad had this chair. Bought it maybe 35-40 years ago. It was strange on my first visit to NY to the Museum of Modern Art, as a kid -- I turned a corner and there was my Dad's chair. "Hey, what's that doing here?" I just thought it was a weird looking chair, not one by some famous designer. The only designer furniture in our house. Don't know how much it cost new, but it is now worth about $2k, as is, even though (or because) it has the original leather, which is cracked. That bent ply was a big deal back then, and my Dad's is the original version in rosewood. I never liked its look or for sitting, though my Dad loved it as much as Archie Bunker loved his (though Dad was not as territorial about his). It is now on perpetual rotation between the siblings -- all but me. I got the tools -- just hand tools, and a vise, but that's what I wanted. -- Igor
igor wrote:

FWIW, mine is apparently a real rarity--it's rosewood with blue leather--I asked HM what it would cost to replace it with the exact same and they told me that they can't--apparently it was a custom job.
Price new on an Eames is around $4K IIRC.
Still popular chairs and appear regularly as props on TV and in movies. Noticed a couple of them in the shrink's office on Joan of Arcadia tonight.

--
--John

Yes, blue is unusual, IME.

I've seen it on a number of shows over the years. It's inconic.